Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

I got a speeding ticket I don’t deserve - what are my options? ?

I was going down a 55 mph road in the dark. This particular road scares me because it’s narrow and there are cows, so I slowed down to 30mph. 27 was my speed when I looked down. At the bottom of the road, the road becomes a 30mph road anyway. This evening there was an officer with lights on outside a home, and when I saw the lights I slowed down even more to 20ish. After I’d passed this first car, another car came around to pull me over. Their reader had said 41mph and he’d gauged me at 40. They were super nice and took it down as even less because they could see I was confused, but I still don’t think I deserved the ticket. How could I have, when I was doing 27 in a 30? 

I’m young and very uneducated to the system. What are my options to get this overturned? 

The speed limit dropped LONG before the bottom of the road and you were going at least 40 mph when the officer clocked you in the 30 mph zone.

You deserved the ticket AND mandatory driver training.

• car253

fight the ticket.   It should say how on your ticket or call the court. 

This makes no sense.  You've been found guilty and want to overturn that verdict?  Or you want to argue against the ticket?

The Police will have their proof (radar?  no radar?  Something else?)  You will have your proof (you swear you were going under the limit).  The Judge will believe one of you.

Justice is not always fair.  I drive a fairly expensive high performance sports car.  I backed out of my driveway, a Police car came over the hill, I was stopped less than 200 feet from my driveway, and I was ticketed for 60 in a 35.  No way was I driving 60 miles in my house without burning rubber and leaving tire marks.

I went to Court and the Judge said, "Why would the Police Officer be targeting you?"  I have no explanation.  He certainly didn't confuse my car with someone else's car.  All I can think of is that he saw someone else, came over the hill - and there I was!  It was ridiculous, but I had no means of proving my speed.  The Judge did not care to hear the time within which I would have had to back out, straighten the wheels and hit 60 within 200 feet.

"At the bottom of the road."  What do you think happens when your car is coming down a hill?  It speeds up.  Perhaps you were going faster than you realize.

You should just use this to prove your point. Good luck!:)

• JJ

You could show up in court and explain your side of it. If the cop doesn't appear then you win automatically. But they will probably appear, and the judge will probably take their side. But it's worth a try.

There are places where police make up things like speeding tickets, and there are many more places where they don't. So if you think this is going to happen again then maybe find another place to live, if that's possible.