Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 2 months ago

What would happen if I "bribed" a cop with something that didn't have any actual value?

For example, say that I get pulled over for speeding on a sweltering hot summer day, and I have a cooler full of Dr. Peppers in my car.

And I offer the cop an ice cold Dr, Pepper not to give me a speeding ticket.

Afterall, cops have discretion there, and how important it it to the cops life that I personally get a speeding ticket?

On a scorcher day like that, he'd probably rather have the Dr. Pepper.

Then again, I didn't offer him cash, jewels, a stradivarius violin or anything like that with actual value, just a cold, carbonated beverage.

Lol could that work?

• Bruce

A bribe does not require value, it only requires influence. I had a woman offer to take her shirt off. There was no value there, but it was with intent to influence. I had no choice but to charge her because it was caught on my squad cam. You would almost certainly have your bribe recorded too. 

You get convicted of attempted bribery. The ONLY thing worse than trying to bribe an honest officer is offering a worthless bribe to a corrupt officer.

If your intention is to be arrested, yes, this would work.  Dr. Pepper?  Middle School?

You would still get charged. Just don’t do it.

In the movies that would work but not in real life. I read your question too fast and read cash jewels as crown jewels at first 😂 now that definitely would not work!

He would probably think you were a little tw@t and arrest you 

• Kenny

I get out of more tickets that way .

No.  Although the do have discretion not to give a ticket if you DON'T offer them anything, they don't have discretion to accept anything from you in return for not giving the ticket.  If they accept your "bribe", they can be fired and go to prison.  They aren't going to risk it.

Offering a cop anything to influence his decision can be considered bribery.

How did you obtain the Dr. Peppers?

You have to pay for them where I come from, hence they have value.