Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBoxing · 2 months ago

Should clinching be banned in boxing?

Excessive clinching has resulted in DQs, but I think once is excessive.

You're supposed to win a fight with your fists, your speed, and your mind, not with your arms.

If the only way a boxer can stop an onslaught and survive the round is to give his opponent, another man in his drawers, a gay *** bear hug, then they haven't EARNED surviving the round.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Yes, clinching is allowed in boxing, but one of the biggest drawbacks of the sport as a self-defense tool is that boxers don’t work in the clinch (like Muay Thai fighters or MMA guys). In the clinch boxers usually do one of those 3 things.

• 1 month ago

LOL. Made my day actually. No to banning of clinching unless it's the Clinchko brothers (Wlad and Vitali)

• Ray
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Not banned. A ref can DQ a fighter for excessive clinching. 

A skilled finisher can get the knock out even with a clinch. I've seen Felix Trinidad do it plenty of times. Pretty much: attack with straight shots, step back when the clinch comes and throw close shots, maybe even push back a bit

• 2 months ago

No. Its part of boxing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

No because they're human beings and clinching becomes a natural defence mechanism to try and stop an onslaught when you're tired.  It's not reasonable to say that over the course of 12 rounds if you clinch once you're DQd.  That's why there's a third man in the ring to ensure that the clinches are short and that they're not happening excessively.

• 2 months ago

Clenching should be treated like a technical knockout. The minute the person starts clenching the count begins if it reaches 10. It's a technical knockout against him. And if the person clenches more the nine times during the fight it should be treated as a technical knockout.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.