I replaced my 1Gb Ram wit hynix 2Gb in Biostar G41d3b M.B., Now Ram= 4Gb but show 2.8 available n only 700/800Mb free in performance Tab Y? ?

Update:

Just 700 Mb Ram free without any programme or App opened!? 

Update 2:

Win 7 home prem.

64 bit.

700 mb RAM shown as free out of 4 GB in the performance tab of win task manager, without any opened app/software !!!???  Just in normal desktop mode.

Update 3:

Dont hv any Graphics card and 64 bit os 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    1 month ago

are you running 32-bit Windows? it can only access 3GB of RAM, due to the limitations of 32-bit architecture.

and if you don't have a video card, your motherboard reserves some of yhe RAM for shared video RAM.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

what is the operating system? Win 7 , 8 , 8.1, 10?

32 bit or 64 bit?

• 1 month ago

Sounds like you're running with a 32-bit O.S. and your system has Integrated Graphics. A 32-bit O.S. uses 3.5gb of RAM and the integrated graphics will eat up a small portion of that. 

• MIKE
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

windows uses a percentage of it but out of 4gb 1.2 seems like a lot. I think one of your ram sticks needs to be reseated. Try switching them around. I have 16gb but says 15.9 usable thats why i think youre used 1.2gb is a lot

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • VP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you're running Win 10 type 'startup' in the search box and click on 'Startup Apps' when it pops up.  That will give you a look at any apps that load up when your system reboots. Turn off anything you don't want running.  Then reboot your system and look at Task Mgr again.

By the way, the specs for your Mobo say it can handle 2 sticks of 4 GB RAM, for a total of 8 GB. 8 GB is the minimum I tell my customers to install for Win 10 usage...

• 1 month ago

The operating system will use most "spare" RAM for disc caching.

That usage will change as appropriate, when other programs are running and they need RAM.

The "3GB" limit (or thereabouts) is usually due to it having a 32 bit operating system.

That only allows a total address range of 4GB and some of that range is needed for things other than actual RAM access.

• 1 month ago

Most likely, you're using shared graphics memory and/or you have a graphics card with 1 GB of RAM on board and a 32-bit OS. Shared graphics memory allocates system RAM to the integrated graphics (the one built into the motherboard or CPU), making less appear to the operating system. 32-bit versions of Windows can only use devices mapped within a 4GB limit, so in order to use a graphics card with significant onboard RAM, it has to ignore some of the system RAM.

Look in your BIOS setup, under Chipset > Northbridge Chipset Configuration. Make sure "Memory Remap Feature" is set to "Enabled". Then go to "Video Function Configuration " and set "DVMT/FIXED Memory" to 128MB or 256MB. This should address both issues (assuming you are in fact running a 64-bit operating system).

Not having a lot of free RAM isn't necessarily a bad thing. Windows will cache files in RAM to reduce access times and make the system more responsive.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.