Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

I don't get it. I don't understand. Why do these parents disinherit their kids from their multimillion fortune yet expect a relationship ?

If you don't want your own offspring inheriting your things, don't even bother interacting with them. You can't disinherit them and then expect to be in their lives. You want to keep your money away from them, but at the same time, get mad when you're kept away from them? That makes no sense to me. Parents like this should be banned from seeing their kids and grandkids and should die a lonely death with their money.

@Barry,

And Parents have no right whatsoever to expect a relationship with their kids whom they wouldn't lend $1 to but would to total strangers. Go have a relationship with those kids in charities. Leave your kids alone.

• Jane

Seems like you someone in mind, when you say certain parents should be banned from seeing their family and die a lonely death- is this personal experience? If so, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing pain having been disinherited by your rich parents.

A relationship with ones children should depend on money

its part of greed. the parents cant let go of their fortune otherwise they failed.

to build that fortune took real skinflinting, nothing left those parents hands nothing at all.

and in their minds that made them a success.

so they see themselves as a great success and think their children see them that way too.

but the childen dont. they see them as they are cheap skinflints clawing for more.

its all one big delusion you can read about if you take college finance classes.

I always stuck with pure mathematics.

no bull there!

There is no law or rule that you or your children have to be in contact with your parents.

My mother is toxic, and it has nothing to do with money.  I have had no contact in 12 years.  She will never see her grandchildren.

I'd worry less about money and more about why you need your parents' money (now or after their death) to survive.

• East

Parents can be dense, as can children.  Family members often think that they can do offensive things to family members and not get the same reaction that they'd get if they did those things to strangers.  Parents may think that by not giving their children an inheritance, their children will work harder or not feel entitled, perhaps.  But parents can be blind.  Anyone who is disinherited clearly won't like it.

• Tj

I agree with you.

• Aaron

it is possible that you are completely in the dark about your parent's fortune arrangement .you don't need to ask your parents about it ,   or your parents just verbally say it ,or want you to work harder ,most parents will bequeath some of their asset to their children ,of course ,some parents will donate some asset to charitable institution ,while the rest will be left to their children ,

cause they want the relationship but dont want to give away their money

Interestingly a parent's money, or any person's money, is theirs to do with what they wish to do. They probably EARNED IT on their own.  So those parents can give their money to kids or they can do something else with it.  Those kids will never miss what they never earned or owned in the first place.  

• A

You don't know the circumstances, maybe they want their kids to find their own way and leave THEIR money to charity.