Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 2 months ago

Is Oklahoma considered part of the US South or Midwest?  I’m confused how Ohio is the Midwest when it’s closer to New York than Oregon?

• John P

The expression 'Mid-West' feels more like a general feeling about 'way of life' and similar, rather than a strictly geographical expression. At least, that is how I see it from Britain.

• Jim

Funny that "Westerns" were mostly in Texas.

I would say I consider OK to be 'southwest', even though I'm in San Diego, CA (very South West yet not 'southwest').

It's a historical/traditional thing more than geography

It depends on who you ask. Many Oklahomans consider. themselves to be in the Southwest just as Texas does,

It's in the South. According to the Census Bureau, the South consists of Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, and Oklahoma. Washington, DC, is also included in the South.

The Midwest, as defined by the federal government, comprises the states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

You need to keep in mind that the United States has grown in size over time, so what was once the Midwest is more cultural than geographical.  Technically speaking Oklahoma is in the South Central portion of the United States, but culturally it is in the South.  The areas of the United States will also vary on who you ask and where they’re from.  I’m from Washington State and we typically consider the Midwest to be North Dakota straight down to Texas to be the Midwest and then everything to the West is the West and everything to the East is back East.