What's this around my homes' foundation?

I just bougth an old (1910) home and saw this running along the side of the house by the driveway. My neighbor said it was to prevent leaking, which we've not seen thus far.

Any idea was this stuff is? What is something we could fill it in with, perhaps cement patch?

Attachment image

3 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    It looks like a injected damp proof course... which is a good thing! Every house needs a barrier of some kind to prevent the natural damp of the earth rising into the house walls. 

  • Sandy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    looks like dried cement. if it doesn't leak on the other side, you're good. if the space bothers you, patch it up with some FlexSeal. that stuff is da' bomb!

  • gerald
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Its probably what is called a damp barrier it stops the damp under ground seeping into the wall and house above you need waterproof material to seal it not cheap silicon a proper damp barrier of building quality , you see filling it creates a bridge and cement is a sponge 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.