Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 2 months ago

Should my dad buy a new Toyota rav4 or Mazda cx5?

My dad wants to buy a new car before he retires since his current car is 15 years old and has almost 120k miles. Which one would you recommend?

sure         .

The RAV4 is what I'd recommend. The CX5 has decent reliability, looks great, and it's sportier feeling, but a comparable RAV4 will be even more reliable, with a slightly better build quality to boot. Ownership costs will be cheaper on the RAV4 as well. You pay a little more upfront for a RAV4, but you'll save more in the long run. If I was retiring, the last thing I'd want to do is spend more on upkeep and/or repairs if I ever needed them.Also, the RAV uses a conventional

automatic transmission- not a less durable, more expensive to replace CVT transmission, like the CX5 and most of the others. Heck, just get the RAV and be done with it. Good luck. 

It depends on what he wants, what he needs, how much he plans to pay for insurance.

• car253

Definately the RAV4.   More dependable.   Just make sure to change the transmission fluid and the oil.

It's his decision he can choose whatever he wants. 

• F

I had a RAV4 about 10 years ago, and was very satisfied with it. The current one is bigger ( can’t understand the lack of shoulder width comment) but looks good but avoid the hybrid.

I think the CX5 looks even better and a bit more sporty but I’ve never driven one. The engines look similar although if you go for petrol the Mazda is probably better. In the UK nearly everyone would choose the diesels. Also go for AWD versions unless you live somewhere with permanently good weather.

It’s very close, a test drive and whatever deals are available would make the final choice.

• CB

Rav4 and buy a higher end model to get all of the safety features- auto braking, adaptive cruise control, lane assist, backup camera and sensors - all things that will be helpful in the next 15-20 years as he ages and slows down.

When he retires he will drive far less so maybe keep his old car?

• y

I think both are too small through the shoulders to be comfortable in. Toyota rates a tad higher for most things compared to the Mazda.  But I have a soft spot for Mazda's, bought one in the late 80's and it lasted more then a decade. Also had a couple of Toyota's since then that have done well. But I have never been comfortable in the, alwasy flt to me like they were just about to fall apart, never did mind you. Just gave me that feeling that they were.  I loved my Mazda though, never loved the Toyota's

These days a car with 120K miles is considered just broken in.  He will not be driving much in retirement and would be better off just keeping the old car and saving the money.