Do I need to take a training class before I can buy a Shotgun in California?

Doug: I don't know if you just moved to Ca. or if you are new to firearm ownership, but you should take as many classes as you can. Take a hunters safety course even if you don't plan to hunt, and a conceal carry course even if you don't plan to carry. You'll learn a lot, meet good people, and become familiar with the laws.  In my humble opinion, everyone should take a few classes like those whether they own a weapon or not. My wife and kids took the classes years ago. It was as important to me for them to take those, as it was for them to take swimming lessons or driving lessons. Sorry I cant give you a yes or a no answer, but I can give you a little friendly advice. Good luck and be safe.

• Matt

Whether its mandated for you take a class or not its always a good idea to take one if you are a new firearm owner.

Even if training is not required, you MUST BE familiar with all the liabilities that come with firearm ownership in a state like California.

Look at what's happening on the news... people are actually being fined and/or jailed for protecting and defending themselves, their families, and their property!

No sense arguing the Second Amendment here. Politicians in California flat-out ignore the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights.

It's a Liberal state. Most people there will shoot their foot off. They also put instructions on boxes of toothpicks for them. "Gently insert between teeth and twirl". 

No class is required.

There is a multiple guess type written test, the dealer will give you a study guide if you ask.

There is a safety demo at the time of delivery, it is more like a walk through than a test.