Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

why is slapping someone in the face assault but spanking your kids not assault ?

if my parents smack me and I hit them back is that assault

I aint nobody's b**ch

• Yeti

Parents certainly can cross the line into abuse, but most locations recognize that some level of physical discipline is necessary with minor children, who are not yet mentally competent adults. But only their parents or legal guardians can engage in it.

If you're a minor and you hit your parents, how it's handled can vary by location. But you'll probably end up in a psych ward where they look into what's happening and why.

In many jurisdictions corporal punishment of a child is treated as an assault. 

The job of a parent is to prepare the child for the adult world. This is your role as a parent, it's not an easy job and there are no instruction manuals that come with kids.

Disciplining a child's bad behaviour is part of how a parent guides the child in to doing the right thing and socially normalising. This is important if other kids aren't going to hate the kid, and that the kid doesn't end up an insufferable, delinquent 35 year old brat that no one wants to have anything to do with.

In the toolkit to guide your child away from anti-social behaviour, is physical discipline. Doesn't always work but it quite often does. A parent spanks a child to guide them away from behaviour that's destructive to themselves and/or others around them. IT has good intentions behind it and is usually only pulled out of the bag when the child is an unruly little sh­it

Your job is not to prepare your parents for adulthood and guide them away from anti-social behaviour, because you're a kid and you know 2/5ths of jack-shi­t about everything. So there is no excuse for you raising a hand to your parents. Your job is to get good grades, mature socially, become a respectable adult and stop being a dick.

And with comments like 'I aint nobody's b**ch'., I'd say you've got a way to go yet on that score

• Kevin

If you don't spank your kids, they grow up to be Democrats.