Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

what does "Cut throat" mean in this sentence?

foreigners/illegals  are more "cut throat" when it comes to work ethics.

• Zapata
    Favorite Answer

In that context, it means more desperate and therefore willing to accept longer hours or lower wages or worse working conditions, than other people would be.

• RP

In addition to the other replies, I'd suggest without restraint, meaning such persons would do anything.

It should be written as one word without quotation marks. They are more cutthroat. It means "ruthless."

cut throat means to be a person who would cut the other person's throat (kill them) in order to win.  It is not a literal cutting and killing, of course, but only figurative.

The idea is that the person who is cutthroat will do whatever he thinks has to be done in order to win.  It is a very selfish way of being.  Me over anyone else, I don't care what happens to them as long as I get what I want.  Overly competitive might be a nice way of calling such a person.

I don't know that I agree with the general statement that illegals or foreigners are more "cutthroat" than the average person.  This is an issue of morality and ethics, and that rarely aligns well with racial or other generic groupings.  I find the statement to display unacceptable bigotry that is not justified by reality.  Illegals and foreigners are not more cutthroat than the general person.

It means "more aggressive". They don't stand back politely saying, "Oh please go first; I'm happy to wait". They really WANT a job and they'll dive right in and fight for it if necessary.

😄

They stab you in the back. Turn on you. To get ahead.

That's my quote.

Instigators. They find problems where there are none to gain favor with management. In order to get into higher positions.