Anonymous

How to approach my boss?

I'm going to school for automotive and I'm going to be done with it here in about three weeks. My current boss (also the owner) told me he has a position for me after I get school done driving a service truck, basically being a lube tech for all of the diesel logging equipment. I'm afraid that might be where it ends though, then going back to the job I'm doing now when there isn't anything for me to do. The other thing bugging me is that he admitted to me that he can't even pay his head maintenance guy what he should. 

I was offered a spot at a Nissan dealership as a lube tech. I really want to do it. I'm torn though. I want to stay at my job now because I've invested about seven years here but the opportunities are extremely limited compared to a dealership.

I want to include more details, I barely had a moment to type this out.

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

No benefits at my current job. Just a yearly allotment of vacation. It's a small family owned business.

The reason I went to school is to either become a technician at a dealership or do whatever it is my current boss has planned for me beyond changing oil. My boss didn't give any details on how much work there is exactly. I suppose I'll be going in blind if I stay, I know exactly what a dealership can lead to. I don't know how to go about asking my boss to figure it out. I guess I need more advice on how to go about asking him rather than if I should stay or go.

• Alex
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like you're torn between loyalty to your current boss versus advancing your own career.  That about right?  In this case, your career should come first.  If it were the other way around, and business so slow that your boss had to decide between letting you go or letting the company go bankrupt, he would have to chose letting you go.

You can still be loyal to your boss and advance your career.  The way you do that is simple notice that you'll be resigning.  That gives him sufficient time to find a replacement for you.  Don't worry, people quit jobs every day and businesses replace them.  Your boss is going to get along just fine when you move on.

The Pope just finished a tour of the East Coast and was taking a limousine to the airport. Since he'd never driven a limo, he asked the chauffeur if he could drive for a while. The reluctant chauffeur pulled over along theroadside, climbed into the back of the limo, and the Pope took the wheel.The Pope then merged onto the highway and accelerated to over 90 mph to see what the limo could do.

Suddenly, the Pope noticed the blue light of the State Patrol in his sidemirror, so he pulled over. The trooper approached the limo, peered in through the windows, then said, "Just a moment please, I need to call in."

• Eva

You'll have more advancement opportunity at the dealership.  If you're basically in the same position now as you were when you started with your current employer and you're not making much more money, that tells you that there is no advancement there and the money isn't going to be good. Dealerships usually offer health insurance and a retirement plan which your current employer might not.  Tell your current boss that you appreciate the opportunity he's given you but that's it's time for you to move on.

Being a lube tech might be where it ends at the Nissan franchise too.

"he admitted to me that he can't even pay his head maintenance guy what he should. "

OK.  can Nissan?  they are barely selling cars in 2020... they are doing much less maintenance because people are driving significantly less.

I hear working on diesel trucks is a good career.

Being at a company 7 years is not a reason to stay.

I can't envision doing either of these jobs = neither require the schooling you are completing, do they?