I'm taking Amtrak for the 1st time, from the Midwest to west coast.  Staying in a "roomette" for 2 nights. Advice for a newbie train rider?

Amtrak Empire Builder

• Mike

Food is not pricey for a passenger in a roomette. The meals are free. The scenery is too interesting to ignore.

Make sure that you're in the right part of the train for your destination. Somewhere along the way (I think it's Spokane), the section bound for Portland separates from the section going to Seattle.

Relax and Enjoy it..

Bring a book, digital or the printed kind.  It will get boring after a while.  Drink water.

The flaw of the Amtrak is the double decker train cars.   If you ride in the top the height added to any sideways sway from the tracks make it hard to walk and even sit comfortably.   If you have a roomette on the lower floor you might find the ride is more enjoyable down there.   

Earplugs to help get to sleep.  Every time the train crosses a roadway, the train horn sounds, and many crossings have clanging bells still.

I traveled from Brisbane to Rockhampton on a sleeper compartment.  In middle of night I woke up feeling that something was surrounding the coaches.  I asked a conductor if we went over a bridge or through tunnel.  He said yes, a major river had a very large bridge with complex girders all around the tracks at just the time I woke up.

• CB

Expect the train to be full and LATE when it arrives. Some how tracks make it difficult to predict when and where the slow downs will occur - go figure. 

Get out of your room and explore the train. It has many windows to enjoy SEE level views.No need to remain in your room ALL DAY with your face glued to your gadget, your book or whatever.

Food on board is a little pricey. Pack a few snacks  The meals are well prepared but the menus are limited.

If you have not figured it out part of travel is the journey to get to destination and those you meet along the way. At this time a good idea to have a mask with you.

It can be a very relaxing and enjoyable way to SEE the country.

Be advised that your train has a stop in Spokane late at night where the Portland cars are detached from the train cars that continue on to Seattle. Follow crew instructions you DO NOT have much to do while waiting. DO NOT wander off or you will be left behind when the trains depart. MOST get woken up by the bumps of detaching and reattaching cars to their appropriate train.