Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

can you breed from dog that has had bloat?

Can you breed the dog and the puppies will have a genetic tendency to bloat?  Yes.  This is how I got my dog.  He bloated, the breeder decided NOT to breed him any longer, I got him.

Bloat  is a stomach & intestine problem & has nothing to do with reproduction.  BUT you should not breed pets.  ALL the dogs in pounds, shelters & rescues are from ignorant people breeding their pets.  So I could adopt a dog just like your puppies for about $5.  No profit in breeding dogs.  By the time you the dogs genetic testing done & get all the certifications you will find that your dog is not worthy of breeding.  There will be too many negative traits & lots more problems.

BYBers are the very bottom of the pit of dog breeders.  Ignorance is not going to help you.  You have to do tons of research.  Wait a yr so you can learn all you need to know about breeding of quality dogs.

You can do anything, but whether you SHOULD breed to a dog who had bloated... is ANOTHER matter. FIFTY percent of all dogs who bloat => DIE (even with veterinary intervention).  I assume you know that any dog that bloats, has a MUCH HIGHER RISK of BLOATING AGAIN.

My breed is very prone to bloat, and people within my breed (who are reputable breeders) AVOID breeding to any males who have bloated or who come a family of bloating dogs. (Which is WHY it PAYS to know the dogs and/or lines you are breeding INTO.)  And no, nobody would risk breeding the b itch who had bloated. That would risk her life. We do see the tendency to bloat - running in certain LINES of dogs.  Deep chests... and a sharper ANGLE for the stomach to "sit" on, also seem to be  a part of the problem.  My breed (esp in show lines) has very deep chests & that seems to WIN in the ring, but IMO MOVEMENT should be more important in a sporting dog.  The field people LOOK DOWN ON LARGE chests as unnecessary and problematic for a dog meant to run for an hour or more in the fields.  STRESS and dogs who do not TAKE STRESS well, are ALSO factors.  My breed is also known for separation anxiety - as an example.  I would suspect that anxiety or stress (and that COULD include stress from being excited to DO a BREEDING, esp in male dogs) can also play a part.So, just like in the breeding OF breeds with spinal or breathing problems or extreme "people dependence" - STRUCTURE and TEMPERAMENT (you are breeding FOR, or to get AWAY FROM) can play a part, as well as other genetics as to whether you are more (or less likely) to get a dog who bloats, or is healthy.  In my opinion, unless you are BREEDING to IMPROVE the breed (with health and temperament at the TOP of your list)  you should not do it.  There are always other breeding choice selections you can make, or you can just START OVER.  Most people start in a breed - with a just a pet, or a less than an IDEAL breeding specimen.  

• Maxi

Of course you 'can' but it would be a very stupid thing to do

Not 'can' but 'should' you.    There is some suggestion that GDV (Bloat with torsion) does run in bloodlines.   It certainly would appear to be so in my main breed.   There was some work done years ago now, by, I think, Liverpool Uni. which showed a constructional disposition (sphincter value in and out) to not working as they should, in certain lines of Bloodhounds.

I don't agree with throwing the baby out with the bathwater however, so if you have an EXCEPTIONAL quality animal with other things to contribute to the breed (male or female), and you do your homework re who you breed her to (or allow to use your male) so you know there's no close-up incidents of GDV in that dog, I'd not necessarily say don't.

There is the question of if this is a b itch, if she had bloat surgery, whether she could need a C.Section = another abdo. surgery.   In which case I'd definitely not risk it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastric_dilatation_v...

Source(s): We had 4 cases of GDV (bloat) in our hounds - all elderly males bar one who was 8 when he blew.