How dangerous is it for an asthmatic to work in aged care  as a cleaner? ?

The fact an employment agency had relocated me to work for an aged care facility is very concerning to me due to the current situation. I lied on my employee questionnaire about having any chronic health issues before they stationed me to aged care facilities and hospitals.

Please advise the next steps.  

This thing could kill me. 

If they wear a mask it is ok - my daughter worked in an aged care facility for years and then during her university degree she worked there part time and she went on to be a nurse and she is asthmatic and it has never bothered her

The next step is to quit.  Normally, if you hadn't lied, the next step would be to ask for safer work.  But because you lied, you're pretty much screwed.

"This thing" could kill anyone.

Except this "thing" appears to be causing asthmatics less complications than other individuals with serious pre-existing conditions.  That is why some of the treatment available today is mimicing what asthmatics do every day.

Next steps- use a handmade mask of at least 3 layers and wear a face shield.  If you are required to use the care center PPE, use your handmade mask in addition to the medical grade mask (unless it's a N95 or KN95).  But do not skimp on wearing the face shield.

- this advice is for anyone working in a high risk environment.  Not only you because you have a pre-existing condition.

I'd be more worried about the cleaning solutions.  I have asthma and most of those spray solutions...especially ammonia and the  other disinfectants cant trigger an asthma attack.

That said, you can always refuse the assignment.

• Robert

First of all, aged doesn't mean diseased.  And those with chronic contagious problems are isolated from the general population and your employer would have protocols for cleaning those areas to keep you safe.  If you follow those protocols you should be safe from contagions.  As far as your own conditions acting up, that's something to consider as I believe that stress can sometimes be a trigger. And now we know why it's important to be honest on those applicatons

• Tavy

If you are wearing a mask you should be OK, I have asthma and COPD, and am carrying on as normal.

When I have applied for jobs the application asks if there are any health problems that may interfere with it or not. So just tell them you have that problem and then they will decide if it's going to be a problem or not as they really don't want to be taken to court over it. If they think it is a problem then you won't get the job and then that is good because you won't die.