Why was my daughter arrested during a peaceful protest, booked into jail and strip searched? Do we now live in police state?

About a month ago my daughter was participating in a peaceful protest. Some protesters (not her) moved over to the street and were blocking traffic. She was approached by the police officers and asked to move. She declined because she was not blocking traffic, not acting unlawfully, not doing anything wrong. Despite of this, she was pulled aside and asked to identify herself, which she also refused. At this point she was arrested with the use of force, handcuffed and taken to jail. There she was treated like a criminal, fingerprinted, photographed, made to strip naked and examined in the most humiliating way. She spent almost 24 hours there, until we took control of the situation. Of course, the charges were dropped, and she was released. 

How is this possible? I tend to believe she was targeted because she's Indian, dark-skinned, highlighting problems of our society? She is only 19, and suffered emotional harm, simply due to standing by her ideas of a world with no racism. Was such treatment by the police lawful? Can I sue them?

Also was it lawful that she was strip searched?

She was there with a friend who I have spoken to (their accounts match). They asked my daughter to move, she asked why. They pulled her aside and asked for ID, she said no. They told her she will be arrested, she asked what for. At which point they grabbed and handcuffed her.

I don't know what is cavity search. She was made to undress by a female officer and threatened with force when she said she doesn't want to for cultural reasons. Then they made her to show her body, including private parts.

They charged her with trespassing and failure to obey. Charges were dropped.

I don't know what is cavity search? From what she said, she was made to undress by a female officer and threatened with force when she said she doesn't want to be naked for cultural reasons. Then they made her to show all her body, including private parts, and made her waiting for half hour in the nude. I find this treatment appalling.

• car253

Your daughter broke the law by not obeying the police officers order to move or ID herself.    It is lawful she was strip searched .  It is to protect other inmates and officers so they know you are not carrying drugs or guns or anything danagerous.  

Lesson learned.  When protesting always do it peacefully and always obey police orders.   Know you rights. https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/field_pdf...

STOP POSTING LIES you TROLL.. 

Face it YOU were arrested for participating in a RIOT that was never peaceful.

If YOUR parents had even tried to 'take control of the situation', you would have been charged and convicted, even when the local DA was dismissing charges out of hand.

Everyone who is arrested is strip searched, fingerprinted and DNA taken. Yes, it looks like she was profiled for arrest. You need a lawyer to help with this. Martin Luther King Jr. got arrested this same way, several times.  You cannot be a martyr and still enjoy the luxury, right and privilege of breathing. This story enlightens a few, but the situation doesn't change with any speed.

Well, she should have just moved.

• Kate

She declined/ refused to follow a Police instruction so yes, she was lawfully arrested and searched.

If the crowd in general was told to leave and she didn't, yes, she can be arrested for obstruction of justice or refusing to obey a Police order.  "She declined ... she was NOT doing anything wrong."  Yes, she was.  She was ASKED to move and she did NOT move, and so the Police helped her move by arresting her.  She stood there, wrists out and compliant, and the Police used undue force on her?  Seems odd.

When you are arrested, you are treated like a criminal because at that point you have charges pending.  Fingerprinted?  Checked.  Photographed?  Checked.  "Made to strip naked?"  Check.  "Examined for contraband in her vagina and anus?" Check.   YES, A STRIP SEARCH IS LEGAL UNDER THESE CIRCUMSTANCES.  SHE HAD BEEN ARRESTED!

How is this possible?  SHE DISOBEYED THE ORDER OF THE POLICE.  I don't understand your confusion.

Sure, sue the Police.  PROVE that she acted in accordance with their request to leave or move.

Yes, the strip search is lawful.

She's 19.  She's an adult.  YOU can't sue them.  YOU have no legal standing.  YOUR daughter made the decision to protest peacefully (part of which was apparently refusing to move when requested to do so).  SHE can file a lawsuit if she can find an attorney who will represent her.

If she is being targeted in the USA for being Indian, I would suggest that she move back to India.

Is there any particular reason, other than being Indian, that she can't speak for herself and Mommy has to fight her battles?

• Foofa

Yeah, turns out declining to disperse when told to by the police is a crime. One wonders if this protest even had the requisite permit required in most places. But of course there'll probably be an attorney willing to take this case just in the hopes the City Attorney is spineless enough to settle. 

• Bruce

You ask how this is possible. The most likely explanation is your daughter is lying and she was indeed blocking traffic. 

Can you sue? No, your daughter is an adult. 

I suspect the main purpose of your asking this question is contained in --"Can I sue them?

That said -- people who partake in a demonstration that goes onto break the law ,and they continue to be part of it are hardly "innocent" .They become part of a criminal group  

On top of which , it remains a  curious fact, that even during a riot, the people arrested invariably claim to have been demonstrating peacefully .

It is your right to be able to protest -- but once that protest breaks the law , you should expect that you run the risk of being arrested .