Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Answer FAST. Does penury butter expire  if it isn’t refrigerated?? ?

I’m hungry and only have bread and peanut butter  but I can’t find the expiration date! I know I bought it this year but it was left closed in the pantry room way back untouched for a long time.  I have food to make but it’s late and I’m tired and don’t wana 👩🏻‍🍳 cook

Peanut*  auto correct lol

eventually after a year or so but if yoiu don't eat peanut butter in that long of time don't bother buying it. You can tell if its no good. Open the jar and take a sniff. If it smells old, it will taste old so don't eat it.

I've watched a dude on YouTube eat unopened MRE peanut butter from the Korean war. You might need to give it a good stir if the oil and solids separated.

Not really.  It might taste strange if it's years old but it's just peanuts and maybe some sugar or honey and salt so it's shelf life is indefinite.

First~ that isn't an 'expiration date' it is a best by date. 

Secondly~ most peanutbutter will survive in a cupboard rather than the fridge, I don't ever recall my mother ever putting peanut butter in the fridge.

Thirdly~ it can go rancid, but generally it takes months to do so, unless it is contaminated.

• kswck2

peanut butter can go rancid, but usually only due to age/improper storing or by heat. But since its melting temperature is 110 degrees, you are probably safe. In any case, give it the Sniff test. Smell good? Eat it. 

• geezer

If it's ''not good'' it will smell rancid .. believe me.

So, if it still smells OK .. it's OK.

Food doesn't “expire” so won't have an “expiration date”. It will probably have a best before date or use by date but if you want to know if it's okay to eat then just take a look, smell it, taste it.

• ?

It expires even if it is refrigerated. Temperatures above freezing slow, but don't completely halt the natural processes that lead to food going bad. If its less than 8 months old, you can probably risk it

• polly

So it was stored unopened in the panty from this year?

I't'll still be fine.

If the oils in it have started to turn you'll notice from it's texture & flavour but if it seems normal, enjoy.

If it smells OK, it will taste OK. Peanut butter is usually only bad if he oils in it go rancid.