Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 2 months ago

Spray Painting furniture?

I pick up old pieces of furniture and strip them then paint or refinish them. Should I be wearing a mask when I’m using spray paint. I started coughing today and thought maybe a face mask would help. Any thoughts?

Spray painting is an easy way of achieving a smooth, even finish on wood furniture. This is especially true of items that have intricate designs. Whereas painting with a brush can result in drips and brush marks, spray paint can give you a near-perfect look.

I spray paint many things. I never spray paint indoors, ever. 

Being outdoors on day without wind is perfect for spray painting. It is always wise to wear eye and face protection when spray painting, but, when there is a slight breeze outside, I position the item being sprayed in such a way that the spray goes with the wind.

Are you serious? No wonder you're asking Anonymously.

Take your silly blue mask and put it on when you're spraying paint.

Absolutely you should wear face/nose protection when using spray paint. It gets everywhere, including inside your nose and mouth. 

Precautions never hurt !

strip them first, then you will have a better surface to paint on .

Pinch the nostrils together.  If it sticks closed then you snorted up paint. Use a longer arm.

Yes you should.  goggles or safety glasses too

You need a proper respirator designed for the purpose.

Yes you should as well as goggles. You don’t want to breathe in the paint or have it cling to your eyes, do you.