Can I obtain a Virginia Driver's License with an Indiana Learner's Permit as a 17 year old?

Can I obtain a Virginia Driver's License whilst being 17 years old, have had legal Virginia residency for over a year but have an Indiana Learner's Permit for over 9 months? I've also already passed the Indiana Knowledge and Vision exams.

• g
    Favorite Answer

No, Erik, you can't. 

The minute you moved to Virginia your Indiana issued permit became null and void.  It's worthless.

You will have to start the VA DMV permit process from the very beginning.  

Why are you making life so difficult on yourself?

Just because the permit is good for a year means an adult always has to ride shotgut with you(it is a drag when your pop has to come to your younger drunk fests in the bush or at the beach (because you know the old man is going to drink all the alcohol and hit on the teenie boppers you wanted to hit on.

. I had my permit for 2 or 3 weeks and then went in for the practical road exam...passed that and now was full fledged driver. MY Old man can stay at home now. I got some roaming to do. Big time flucking. (pre Covid days)

Wait, wait, wait. Now I read your question in full.  For one the permit is not transferable state to state AND YOU were not suppose to leave the state where you got it, let alone the city  .  Seems you traveled a fair ways away illegally. 16,17,18,25,etc IT DON'T MATTER.  You got to do it all again most likely. And they may have health too. Every state is different as to their requirements.

Do you really want to chance it?

• Edna

Your Learner's License that was issued by the State of Indiana is valid only in Indiana. Learner's Licenses aren't transferable for one state to another.

You're going to have to start all over and obtain a Learner's License in Virginia.

• May

No.  Learning permits are not transferable

• bo

nope. you'll have to start all over again with a VA learners permit. all spelled out on the VADMV website

No...      You have to first get a Virginia states learns permit.  

No you can't.

No, the permit is the first step of obtaining the license and needs to be issued by the same state.

No.   You need a VA permit.

You can't. You would need to get a Virginia permit (requiring proof of residency). There's no way around it.