Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

My 7 month old is my first digger. If I see her start, I stop her, but sometimes she’s in the yard alone. How can I fix this?

This goes without saying, but obviously a shock collar is out of the question.

Mostly it appears to be short burst of digging for entertainment, although sometimes she sticks her face in the hole and eats dirt.

She’s only outside unsupervised for 30 min each morning and again each afternoon.

She’s gets plenty of exercise and mental stimulation (training sessions and puzzles). 

She’s a Labrador.

By “unsupervised” I mean I’m inside and I look out the window every 5 minutes.  When she comes to the door, I let her back in.

Is she digging out of the yard, escaping? oR just digging holes anywhere?  I got wallers all over my yard where my dogs digs to get down to the cool earth to lay in.  I don't know how to answer this cause there is not enough information.  You may have to dog proof your yard to keep her in the yard.  You can cut the toe nails too short to make digging painful.  But that really hurts the dog when you cut into the quick.  There are some things in life that you just have to accept.  This may be one of them.  Some dogs are just diggers & dig hole everywhere.

So stop leaving her out there to do this!    Simple.

• Imp

Anti digging spray!

• *****

Rather than trying to stop it entirely, some people have more success in redirecting it by creating an area where is okay to dig- such as creating sort of a "sandbox" area with buried plastic toys to dig up, and directing the dog to that area and encouraging it there when they dig.

You need to try and figure it out as to WHY the dog is doing it.  Some dogs dig due to boredom and a lack of aerobic exercise (you say that is not the case). Some dogs DIG to make a cooler place to lie down.  And some dogs have high PREY DRIVE and are going AFTER some type of critter - like a mole or vole.  (Since the dog is not only having wild BURSTS of digging and also putting her FACE in the hole - potentially eating dirt...) I vote for the last option.

I have a Sporting breed too, but I DO NOT leave them outside alone in my fenced yard - for 30 minutes at a time.  Mine know to do their "business" trot the fence line and come back and I NEVER take my eyes OFF of them.  Mine do not DIG, even though we have dogs NEXT door and even though my fence does not completely meet the ground where there is a French drain.

• Maxi

Digging for fun/entertainment or digging to eat dirt?