Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

What does this sentence in To Kill A Mockingbird mean?

"She's trying you out."

I've never heard "trying out" used that way. Is Atticus saying that she is testing him and gauging his reactions? That's what I gleaned from it. How could we use it in a different sentence? Would it retain the meaning? I don't know, it just feels weird the way she (Harper Lee) used it. I'm pretty sure I grasp the gist of it, based on context, but I just feel like I'm missing out on some idiosyncrasy. Is this another southern slang?

Full quote, from chapter nine:"Don't pay any attention to her Jack. She's trying you out. Cal says she's been cussing fluently for a week, now."

• Sandy
    Favorite Answer

she's testing Jack by pushing the envelope by cussing. you know how teens test their parents to see how far they can go before their parents punish them for bad behavior.

It means that Scout is trying to get under Jack's skin by doing something they both know is wrong and not allowed. She is cussing just to press his buttons to see if she can get a rise out of him. It is a colloquial term, more than likely something that was a common phrase in the south at that time.