Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 months ago

Can a debt collector leave a voicemail saying your full name and say they’re trying to collect a debt on you?

I have no idea what for, first voicemail I’ve ever got. I will call back but just wondering if they have the right to do this? I thought all they could say was it was a personal matter, not disclose that it’s a debt you owe?

Don't call back.  Talking to a debt collector on the phone is one of the worst possible things you can do.  If you absolutely must ask them something or tell them something, which is probably a bad idea, then do it only in writing, without calling.  If you don't have their address or any other way to contact them without calling, then simply ignore them.  Do whatever it takes to avoid talking to them on the phone, even if you have to break your phone deliberately so that you aren't tempted to talk to them on it.  Do not call under any circumstances.  If they call, do not say anything, not even hello; hang up immediately, without saying even one word.

As soon as you speak at all on the phone, regardless what you say, you give them the ability to lie and say that you agreed to anything they want, including paying more than you owe, including more phone calls, including putting things on your credit report, etc.  They can do almost anything they want, as long as they can trick you into calling them or into speaking when they call you.  Because as soon as you say even one word on the phone, you give them the ability to lie and say that you agreed to whatever they want.

What you thought is wrong. They have every right to state what they are calling about.  In fact, being as vague as a personal matter would not usually get a call back.  They are trying to collect a debt, remember?  So stating why they are calling would be a good thing.  The law doesn't crush that sort of behavior.  It crushes the dumb*sses who charge what they cannot afford and are ripping off people.

First,  before you call them back,  check out your records and see if you DO owe a debt to them.   Most likely it will be some debt in the past that you did not pay and that company or person sold the debt to the debt collection agency.    If you owe a debt and it has been more than five years do not admit to it and do not pay even a penny on it.   After five years they have to leave you alone,  if you pay even a penny then the five year clock resets.   If you call them back ask them where the debt came from,  WHEN it occurred and how did they get it on their books?    Ask them to confirm your date of birth,  social security info,  etc.   What you want to do is have them give YOU information so ensure they actually have the right person.    Do NOT admit to the debt until they have confirmed to you that you are the person they are actually going after.

It’s mainly a scam. Tell them them you’ll send a money order and they’ll change up real quick. Someone called me, asking for a credit card or bank number to collect a debt. I said I’ll send a money order but they kept insisting on those two things. I hung up. 

No, they cant legally. I know, spend thousands suing them.  The judge will tell them not to do it again.  

Or you could just pay your debt.

• Rick B

Of course they can.  Why wouldn't they????