Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Am I addicted to cutting?

For years I would cut to punish myself for mistakes and being weird since I was bullied a lot in school and had a lot of issues that I was on meds for. They didn't really make me any better (and worse in fact, it ruined my relationship with my parents at the time because I had delusions and hallucinations from them), but thats not the point. 

I think I may be addicted, I remember hearing in a group therapy session long ago that it was possible, and even though I cut a lot less now (I used to cut up my entire thigh, but my family caught on so I began to just cut on my shoulders, which are covered at all times, but less space) So I never did it on my wrists/forearms, however whenever I see images of self harm, or become upset and in a depressive episode 

I will feel a tingling / burning on my forearms

-it just pummels my mind with thoughts about how I need to do it, and how I deserve it, and how it'd make me feel better. Which is sort of true, because normally the blood makes me feel like my dues are paid. 

My question is, does it sound like I'm addicted? I haven't been in therapy for a year and a half now because my family lost insurance when my dad lost his job so I don't have anyone to turn to besides here because its anonymous. 

Please no hate, I try really hard not to do these things, I just can't stop. It's either cutting, or overdosing on household medicine and a small cut is much less harmful to my body. 

Update so I can write a bit more info : I'm 16 (started at 14) and a female, I have a few scars on my thighs from cutting way too deep, but I don't have many on my shoulders since I can only really go so deep without worrying about seriously messing up my arm. Also, just to add I realized I did cut myself twice on my forearm, but it was a long time ago and it was a vertical cut going up it (only one and only once since its noticeable, I think I said it was a scratch from a pet)

Favorite Answer

You say you have to do it, which is saying that you're addicted, but you also say that you're making progress with this problem. 

There's a book by two therapists who treat self-harm. They say that the less a person cuts, the better able the person is to deal with the problem that led to the self-harm. Likewise, the better the person is in dealing with the underlying problem, the less she will cut.

If you go to the Amazon and Goodreads ads for Freedom from Self-Harm by Gratz and Chapman, you'll see that the reader reviews are all very positive. One says, "This book helped me tremendously." 

Psychologists have been studying the use of punishment for changing people's behaviors for a long time, and it's clear that punishment has very limited usefulness. You may think that by punishing yourself you're dealing with a behavior problem, but you're not.  A therapist can tell you how to overcome behavior problems.

Don't overlook the possibility of seeing a therapist. Call social services (211?) and see if there's any free therapy. Google "affordable psychotherapy." For a number of reasons, the cost of therapy can vary a lot. These articles have information. 

https://www.healthinsurance.org/obamacare/how-obam...

https://careforyourmind.org/what-to-do-when-you-ca...

Don't overlook self-help methods. Many people benefit from them. If you think you might be depressed, there's a lot of things that can help.   

I've answered a lot of depression questions, with advice from experts about standard treatments and self-help methods, which can enhance effects of standard methods. Just click on my name and read if you like. 

If you could win a prize by hitting a target with an arrow and the arrows were free, what would you say to someone who asked you, "How many arrows do you want?" You wouldn't say, "Which is the best one?" You'd say, "How many can I have?"

The beauty of self-help is that you have a variety of low cost, low risk things that can be combined with each other, and with standard treatments with office visits. While it's not clear at this time that any one of these things is as effective as an antidepressant, it's common sense that if a variety of reasonably good things are combined with each other, they will have considerable effect.

You can get details in this answer, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS, which has information about lifestyle therapy and evidence-based CBT self-help.  

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

Of all the basic lifestyle choices, the one with the best evidence is exercise, and you don't have to be an athlete to benefit from it. Research shows that when people suffering from depression go for long walks with family or friends, this is very therapeutic (source - the lifestyle-depression project at the University of Kansas). Things that take your mind off your problems for a while, like a funny movie, are helpful, as long as you don't let them dominate you.

Of all the traditional mind-body practices (meditation, tai chi, etc.), the one with the best evidence for affecting mood disorders is yoga breathing. Slow breathing is used for treating anxiety, depression, panic disorder, and PTSD. It's safe and it doesn't take any training. You can find out about the work of psychiatrists Richard Brown and Patricia Gerbarg and PTSD therapist Emma Seppala in my recent answers. 

• funnel

There's never been so many Cutters and every other form of mind problems until movies and media started training it. Did you really think up cutting or did you hear about it first? 

I used to do the same in high school. Usually its to deal with things you feel. For me at some point it was addictive. Like it was easier to self harm than to talk to someone.

You have a tormented mind which is demonic.  Healthy, God fearing people do not cut their body.  First, do you know Jesus the Christ of the Holy Bible?  In the name of Jesus, you can cast out this spirit of cutting (torment).  Cutting is like lying.  You stop lying one lie at a time.  Each time you do it ask the Holy Spirit to take it from you and repent to the Heavenly Father for doing it.  The name of Jesus is very powerful when you know Him.  Cutting seems to come from a deep rooted fear and the Lord will help you when you realize what the Creator God thinks about you.  He says you are wonderfully and fearfully made.  To God you are exceptional. . . there is nothing like you.  A one of a kind creation that He loves.  God doesn't make mistakes so you are not a mistake.  The Lord has a special purpose for you.  It pleases God that we follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, because He didn't give us a spirit of fear, but of love, and power and a sound mind.  Let the Lord help you.  Open your heart to Him and read His words in His Holy Bible.  You can start with the Book of John in the New Testament which is one of the four gospels.  The other 3 are Matthew, Mark and Luke.  When your mind changes sweet lady, you will stop abusing yourself and you will forgive yourself and realize that you have sinned against your own body, but that is why Jesus came.  He came for you and me.  To give us life and life more abundantly, more joyfully and to fill us with His peace and hope.

• Alfred

with your kind permission, young lady, you're young enough  to be my daughter- to begin with.

let's say:just far beyond enough for your words here to shake and thrill my heart and soul.

you're- still- at the utmost age of flourishing in every way  on one hand- and a very difficult age, too, on the other hand.

and  you clearly enough sound to me depressed and traumatized deeply and severely, enough to need/ urgently need the professional help of a psychiatrist or psychologist thereof-in real life, in your area, someone skilled in treating people of your age, with no further delay.

yes, you might be addicted to cutting.

the point is- it might be, much too often- kind of a conversion mechanism: turning/ trying to turn soul pain into physical  pain - to alleviate / more easily tackle/ cope with the former.

some responsible adult: school counselor, social worker...someone... has to immediately be exactly aware of what you're  going through... ask for and timely get the help you need.

I honestly do not know what can help you. I suffer from a mental illness myself: Schizophrenia. However, I do not like cutting and I'm completely afraid of self-harm. I talked to people in the hospital and a doctor said, "a woman wore clothes while taking a shower. As a result, they misunderstood her for being crazy when, in reality, she was doing it to stop herself from cutting." 

So I don't know if that will work for you but I think you just gotta find that one thing that helps you. Talk to others with similar experiences. There's lot of support online, especially from NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). Join facebook groups on mental health. They are also quite understanding

Ask your father.

• LAN

So other than letting us all know that you are an idiot did you have a question hiding in that pity seeking rant?

My advice is for you to start using a chainsaw to cut with to show everyone just how committed to being a moron you really are.

please help me, I really don't know what to do. Don't ignore this question