Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

If you successfully sue someone who is single, in debt, and without savings or assets, do you have to cover your legal expenses and get $0 ?

What if they commit suicide?

If they have $0, you get $0.  Cannot squeeze juice from a rock.

• Maxi

Winning in court, just means you win, regardless of if they can afford to pay or not doesn't mean you will get paid that depends on them and if the court action puts more pressure on them to 'encourage' them to pay.

I sued someone I KNEW could afford to pay, got a court ordered award, yet they didn't pay...... I had to fund all my legal expenses taking them back to court several times because they owed me 26k, it took me 10 years and cost me stress, worry as well as time and legal costs... gt it in the end because I refused to give up........ but you have to think carefully before you bother throwing more money into legal costs and if they are already in debt with no assets it really doesn't matter if you win you will be out of pocket and no chance of getting the award

Winning a judgement is just the beginning. Collecting can be time-consuming, or even impossible. Plaintiffs are responsible for their own legal fees unless a judge orders the defendant to pay. If a defendant dies with an unpaid judgement, the debt becomes a liability of the deceased's estate. If the estate has no assets, the judgement becomes worthless.