Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why are only pitbulls and poor quality dogs mostly found in county shelter?

I never see any good quality dogs in my local shelter. A lot of them are special need dogs too

All I need is a good breed without any special need issues -- such as having been abused before 

The quality of dogs in my shelter is so poor that I have to live without pet. 

I want good dog but it's never there. How do I get it

This is really good to hear so in other words,  good breeders either haven't sold to people who are not committed to their dogs or have them on contract that they go back to them  (the breeder) 

There should NEVER be any good quality dogs in rescue and shelters and any dog that is in a rescue has not come from a reputable breeder. 

There are many rescue centers that take only certain breeds of dogs.

Contact a rescue group.  Oddly, this is NOT my experience, but I don't know your version of "good quality dogs."

I adopted an AKC GSD because the owner was too sick to care for her.  I also adopted a Rott/GSD mix, a stray.  He's the smartest dog I've ever owned.

In the past I adopted an AKC Lab and a mixed Lab/GSD.

Try other shelters.

• Ocimom

Because that is what the backyard breeders are producing - not caring if the dog ends up in a shelter or worse.

• Maxi

You either find a quality breeder of the breed of dog you want and purchase a pup or you look into specific breed rescue and most breeds of dog have specific breed rescues

If you want a quality dog then you'll need to go to a responsible breeder who breeds for good health, solid temperament, and to breed standard. All of which can be found by going through your countries national Kennel Club. 

Good breeders producing good stock, will put a return (to them) clause on their sale contract - not that people will always do that!    Try your chosen Breed Rescue, or even a bigger breeder who might be happy to find a fireside home for their retired dogs.

• jean

write down what u want in a dog and then ask the shelter if they have dogs like u want

Purchase one from a reputable breeder. Even then, if you aren't a competent dog owner, you could end up with a dog that will have behavioral issues. Most of the dogs that you describe as poor quality are there because the people that owned them didn't understand how to properly train a dog to begin with.

Then try looking into a breed  or no kill rescue.... On occasion they have pups and if not; they can usually link you to another rescue that has some. ..... I homecheck for such a rescue you see.

Source(s): Just an ole shepherd, his working dogs and flock