Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Why are universities so keen to kick out students that fail?

K-12 schools don't do this

• Expat

Ah, the great culling! I understand your feelings, but American universities cull about half of all incoming freshmen by the end of the first year. Why? Well, they don't bother with the lazy. I was kicked out my freshman year. I went back a few years later and did much better and now I'm a professor. Learn from it if you were kicked out and go back and be serious. 

• DON W

At least in the US, for a college to retain its accreditation, it can't permit students who repeatedly earn a low GPA to stay in the program.  For most schools, the first semester you perform poorly, you are put on academic probation.  Most schools also offer tutoring, academic coaching, and the chance to re-take courses in hopes of doing better the second time.  

It's only after two semesters of performing poorly that the student is kicked out.

K-12 public schools, at least in the US, don't usually kick out a student for failing courses.  What they do is tell the student they will not graduate with a diploma if they can't pass the required courses.  That's required by each state's board of education.

Well if a student is repeatedly failing, then the school sees that as someone who is not motivated and/or distracted and is not suited for college at this time. Keeping someone in only hurts the university by allowing someone take up a spot from someone else because there are classroom size caps, program caps etc. It just doesn't benefit the school in anyway. A subpar student bring zero credit to reputation and standards to a school.

• fcas80

K-12 education is required by law;  university education is not.

Uiversities don't want you to waste your time if they don't think you are taking education seriously.

They're not. My university looks very carefully at success rates in courses. They've put a lot of money into resources and re-structuring classes where students seem to struggle. Our funding from the state depends on how many degrees we award, so there are all kinds of resources available to help students succeed. Note- this does not include passing students who don't perform well, or "dumbing down" courses- it means helping students who can be successful with a little extra help.