Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

Do you bicycle faster than cars drive?

I'm going to tip over if I bike as slow as cars drive in the city, not even rush hours, clear COVID streets!

Sometimes, especially at junctions, cars can't seem to get up to speed to over or undertake a cyclist.  Many car drivers don't seem to know how to overtake cyclists safely, yet strangely they do know how to over take another car!

• Jon

If you mean can I make certain journeys faster by bicycle than I could by car, yes. My usual journey to work is a case in point. Between being able to pass through congestion and being able to make a short cut using a pedestrian and cycle bridge, I can cover the 8 mile trip to work in 45-48 mins when it would take an hour or more by car.

Yes

Flat road, clear minimal traffic = 25+ mph with no head wind

DOWNHILL (fastest was 55mph in 25mph zone down mountain side)

multiple lane one way streets (cars slows down to park, double parked... Stupid driving. Drivers not paying attention to predictable car behavior ahead)

Still need to follow MAXIMUM speed limit 25-35 within city. (35-45 rural roads) 

I can in some traffic conditions but I don't because I follow the rules of the road.

Seems this person can.

https://youtu.be/HJgMObLsUdE

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.

What city?  What time of day?  How many lanes in each direction?  Just too many variables.  Yes, occasionally I've passed cars.  Mostly old clunkers in need of some serious work.  But then again...I'M OLD!  Plus most of the major streets I travel on have a 35 mph speed limit.  That's the highest possible gears on both my Giant Defy & Masi Alare road bikes - they both have the "compact crankset" 34-50 with 11-32 cassettes.  

If I'm topping 20 mph, one of two things (maybe both) are happening.  A) Hell-of-a-tailwind.  B) Downhill.  Highest known speed as recorded on my Garmin was 36.3 mph.  If you can reach & maintain a 25 mph average speed...think about entering some local races through USA Cycling.  https://usacycling.org/  Sadly, in my area of the country, they've all been cancelled due to COVID-19.