Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

My sister says she’s a Holocaust survivor, how do I get her help?

We are not survivors of the Holocaust and my sister is 23 years old. She suffers from mental illness and says that she is a Holocaust survivor and that the government is plotting to return her there. Our mother died young from cancer and our father and his wife that raised us were emotionally abusive. Our sister therefore has mental illness. Our mom had bipolar so it runs in the family that my sister appears to be schizophrenic also. She swears her mom was killed in the holocaust and that she survived and then our father was an agent of the Nazis. She has signs about it up on her apartment window I saw yesterday which disturbed me. I was dropping food off as she refuses to leave the apartment due to coronavirus.


How do I get her help when she refuses it? She insist the police and doctors are bad guys who are working for the Nazis to return her to the concentration camps where our mom was killed. I know she can’t help that she’s sick but I want to get her help. Our father is washed his hands of her and I haven’t spoken to my father in a number of years because of his alcoholism and verbal abuse. I Suspect he had mental illness also.


What do I do?

1 Answer

  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    First, you cannot assume that your sister's mental illness is the result of abuse from your father and step mother. There may be a genetic component, which you , yourself, already identified.  And not all mental illnesses are caused by how someone is raised.  Your desire to help her is admirable, but you must already know that you cannot help someone who doesn't want your help. The only way to otherwise intervene against a person's wishes, is if they are deemed a danger to themselves or others, and then, they can be held for evaluation and treatment recommendations, but only for 48-72 hours, at least in the USA.  She certainly sounds in need of help, however, and probably psychotropic medication. You could try contacting her doctor, if she has one, expressing your concerns, and you can also keep a record to document symptomatic behavior and ideation. Beyond this, try to make your own health and well being a priority, which may mean backing off from both her and other family members as well. Good wishes,  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.