Won’t start without a jump and dies within minutes- 2002 Honda Civic Ex ?

My 2002 Honda Civic died out of no where as I was stopped at an intersection. The ABS light came on seconds before it died. I tried to start it back up, but nothing. A day prior to that my battery warning light came on and has stayed on ever since. Once my car died, I replaced the alternator, its belt, and got my car battery recharged. The shop told me I had a very good battery. I put the battery back in and my car started back up without a jump so I let it run while idling. However, after 5 minutes the ABS light popped back on and my car immediately died again. When it dies the engine putters, the dash lights weaken and flicker, and all the gage needles shake. It will not start without a jump and will not run longer than five minutes after the jumper cables are removed. Also replaced the electric load sensor today and the same thing is happening. What could be the issue?

• M.

You have a charging system problem.  There is more to the charging system than just the alternator.

The battery is not being charged. Check your fusible links. They are the larger fuses in the engine compartment fuse box. The one that protects the electrical system may be blown which will keep the alternator from charging the battery. If all the fusible inks are good you have a bad rebuilt alternator. Starting a motor by jumping it can fry an alternator and rebuilt alternators come with warning tags to charge your battery before starting the vehicle after putting the new alternator in. Test the voltage at the battery posts. You need a minimum of 13.7 volts or the alternator is not charging the battery.

Obviously the charging system isn't working despite the new alternator. Take it to a shop that specializes in auto electric diagnosis and repair.

Charge the battery again.  Get a multimeter, start the car and check the charging system.

• Joe888

You said you replaced the alternator but what you're describing is a bad alternator.

Check the number 4 fuse in the interior fusebox. It's likely blown out. Replace it. It's a 10 amp fuse. If it blew out, that means your alternator was NOT bad, but it couldn't send charge to the battery so as you drove the car you ran the battery down and that's why the engine died. Also check the number 19 fuse in the fusebox under the hood. It's an 80 amp fuse. While your hands are still dirty, make sure all the fuses are not blown out. Mechanics often start with replacing the most expensive things until the problem goes away. Alternator, $500. Battery, $200. Cables $100. Fuse, $1.00.

Check your battery and alternator connections.  Unless they are tight you will not get the power to charge the battery.  I would replace the battery ground cable.

The new alternator failed.