Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Are there any foods that are best to fry in peanut oil?

A specialty cooking store near me (they sell grills, smokers, fryers, propane, oil, etc.) is moving and couldn't take all their stock with them, so they were giving away some stuff. I picked up some peanut oil but, like an idiot, didn't think to ask the guy what foods it's good for. What's it good for?

• james

It is a high smoke point oil.  So you can get it hotter & cook faster in it.  Has no taste to it in fried foods.  Use same as corn or other oils. 

foods don't know what they are fried in. Remember, people fried foods in lard for centuries before there ever was peanut oil. What you use to fry your food depends on personal preference only. You can use peanut oil in the exact same way you use ANY other cooking oil. No special foods for it, etc.

• kswck2

Peanut oil is good for deep frying-chicken, turkey, etc. 

If you have too much or no longer want it, give it to a soup kitchen. 

Working in one, i know that oil is something that No One donates-and we use a Lot of it. 

I like the anonymous answer, but since I can't comment, I'll tell you that the grill place had large quantities of peanut oil because it is the fat of choice for frying turkey.

Specialty steak, homemade ice cream, and postulated pudding.

• Jim

I pop my popcorn in it. It's the best!

Chinese food, Indian, fried chicken. I use it for everything. It has a high smoke point and no taste.

Chicken and every other thing you want to fry.

It's good for frying in general due to it's high smoke point and neutral taste.

I made some homemade chicken breast nuggets and fried them in peanut oil and they were da bomb.   

You can also use it for pretty much anything you want a neutral flavored oil for, for example marinating meat.  You don't want to waste your good olive oil on a marinade.