What is this silver piece connected to my water meter?

This is the water meter at my new house. I never saw this silver piece connection at my old house

• 1 week ago

Store of equipment for heating https://santehexpress.ru

I see a quick disconnect fitting, so it's meant to be removed or changed easily. 

I have never seen anything like that before. 

You must be in a yearly warm area, having a water meter in the ground like that. 

Call your water company or the city water department if that's who you pay.  Ask them what it is.  And let us know.

It belongs to the water utility company so it is their toy.  Does not belong to you...so why strain a brain muscle?

• Edwena

Well, it is connected to the plumbing with a quick disconnect fitting so that they can remove/install another silver bottle.   My guess is that it is a water sample test bottle.  Like are you at the end of the line or some place real convenient.  Where they could check for chlorine in their water supply.  They leave that bottle there to keep things working until they want to test and bring out a clean test bottle.

You could remove it and see what happens - or you could read the label.

It could be an electronic meter with a sender.

Looks like it could be a water hammer arrestor.  

• Kenny

You almost got it all in the picture maybe .