.
. asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 2 months ago

Does my stepsister have a right to demand that I hand over information regarding family tree information?

She is acting like she's related to my father when she is only a step-sister and my father's step-daughter. 

For the past 10 yrs after my grandmother died (my father's mother) she gave me a treasure trove of information that goes back multiple generations and centuries, that I've been working on. I have blocked her number, but she thinks/insists that since her mother is married to my father, that makes her an automatic blood relative of his family tree.

My grandmother instructed me that this family tree information is for the blood relatives only.

How do I handle this nicely, when my stepsister and her mother hasn't been so nice about it?

@ Anonymous, My father has all his family health history, but my father has no use/interest in genealogy. Since I do a lot of travel to these places, check up on marriages, deaths, births and burials and church records, plus I'm into photography & I make sure I photograph documents that I'm able to get access to. I'm doing all the leg work, so why should I give someone that's not genetically related get free information? I have forked out a lot of money and this woman wants me to hand it over? 

@ Zirp, I don't have her in my legal will, I have my husband and children in my will. If she doesn't like it, she can pound sand. I'm the one that is spending money on my family genealogy. She can start her own genealogy with her own set of bio-parents and grandparents. Lastly what I do is none of her business. 

• John P

The only way to guarantee correct info is to ask a local lawyer.

• Prince

No, your stepsister absolutely does not have the right to demand that you hand over information regarding family tree information. On several levels it is wrong. For one thing, your research is your intellectual property. For another thing, she does not even have the reason to plead for medical information that could possible affect her because, sharing no dna, your family medical history will not affect her. Finally, you received the information on the promise that you would not share it outside the blood. You must honour that promise and stop offering explanations and entering into pointless dialogues concerning the matter. Just say no. My father actually is related to me and his mother was actually his mother; and yet, she told me things that I was to keep from her own son, depending on his saying certain things which he has never said. She taught me a little bit of a song from an old musical called The Chocolate Soldier that starts "ti ra la la" and, whenever my Dad starts asking for information regarding his mother's secret, I sing a bit of it instead of answering him, but he never says the things she said he must say in order to be told. She drove around the bus station with me when I was about fifteen and literally just drove around and around the depot reciting her real name until I had learned it. And she told me key secrets about what her husband did in the war and so on. 

Don't think anyone has such right's in my opinion zxvwqbf

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

ask her why-- tell her these people are not related to her; in fact, they may not be related to  you  without a  DNA test --genetically they cannot even your kin. people lie about about theur pedigree -- but the blood does not lie.

She can demand, request plead for, and pretend anything she wants, but when it comes to Genealogical you are not required to "give" her anything.  If she want to research your father's family she can, and you cannot stop her.  But who cares, if you have the documentation for your your grandmothers charts.  I totally understand your feeling about stepchildren/parents.  My Mother was married 3 times and her last husband's niece thinks she has the right to do a chart on not only her, but my father -no matter how wrong is may be.  She also refuses to correct errors, like my sister died in 2000 and was a black woman living in Florida who was born in 1954, which is totally wrong.  Even the way the name is spelled is incorrect.  I cannot force her to change it or eliminate what is not part of her biological family.   I obviously understand the frustration, but accept that you can only control your research and relax.  It doesn't harm her that you are this upset it only harms you and raises your blood pressure.

Source(s): Genealogical Researcher 55+ year and have found lots of errors, in my work as well as in the work of others.
  • Zirp

I don't know your jurisdiction, but where I live, according to the laws on inheritance, a stepchild has exactly the same rights as a biological child

She can demand anything she wants, but it's your decision rather to give it to her or not.

• Maxi

Reality is no one is 'entitled' to get any information from research you have done regardless of who they are blood related or not...... tell her if she wants the information to do the research herself

I feel like there is more going on with this story than what you are putting out there... I also wonder what's in the family tree that you don't want anyone knowing about? Does it matter that much? I mean, all information is available online, while your step-sister isn't a blood relative, she's still part of the family (at least in my mind... I mean, at some point, everyone married in, right?). What does your father think? It's his family, too. 

Your step-sister is inquiring about your father's family medical history.  Would it really kill you to give her the information?   You don't have to give her all the information.  Just give her the health history up to your great-grandparents only.  They don't need to see everything.