Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

Is it impossible to avoid weight gain and lose weight after Menopause?

Asking for my mom who is absolutely distraught over information given by doctors.

My mother grew up with obese parents and worked to get herself to a healthy weight and is careful with calories and works out everyday. She's on no medications, suffers no medical issues and is completely healthy never suffering a serious medical issue in her life.

But over the last few months since being told she was primenopausal and being told by at least 5 doctors that she will start to gain weight regardless of what she does she's been depressed that all her hard work will be undone and she can't do anything to stop it.

All 5 doctors said that the body starts turning as much as possible into fat. That this is why many primenopausal and menopausal suffer calcium issues because the body is turning most of it into fat and that even if you work out or lower your calories your body will use as little stored fat as possible and use most of the nutrition you take in as stored fat that can lead to malnutrition.

When she was told this she went to a new doctor not believing it was impossible to lose weight until it totaled 5 doctors (3 men, 2 women) telling her this. When she asked if there was any way to lose weight they said there's only one option: liposuction.

As her body will be unable to lose weight on its own, it has to be surgery removed.

its one thing if she heard this on the internet, but when 5 doctors with legit medical degrees are telling her this its hard to disbelieve for her.

• Edna

A woman might start gaining weight when she's in pre-menopause or after she's completed menopause simply because she eats like a horse. A woman doesn't gain weight simply from menopause. 

If 5 doctors told your mother that menopause was absolutely going to cause her to gain weight and there would be no way she could lose the weight, then those 5 doctors are handing her a load of BS, or else they don't know what they're talking about.

I've gone through menopause, and I LOST weight. My doctor and I doubt that my weight loss can be attributed to menopause.   

None of that is accurate or makes sense.  Calcium isn't contained in fat,  You are not going to very good doctors.  

• Eva

It can be more difficult, but it is not impossible. The key is to stay active.

• Tavy

Rubbish here in the U.K. our Doctors don't say this. I never gained a pound, still the same weight as I was at 15, now 73.

• Lili

I am past menopause and haven't gained a pound. All you need do is watch your calorie intake and get plenty of exercise. Although my body shape has changed a bit, I still weigh what I did when I graduated from high school.

I can't imagine why a doctor would have said such a stupid, ignorant, and inaccurate thing.  Not a single doctor has ever made this claim to me, and it isn't true. And no, it's also not true that the body is turning calcium into fat or that you're in danger of malnutrition. That's ridiculous. And I've had blood tests and so forth since I hit menopause.  My health is quite good.

I get my medical care at one of the top medical centers in the US. Perhaps my doctors simply know better what they are talking about.

Or, perhaps, you are a troll.

• .

Considering PLENTY of menopausal and post menopausal women are not overweight, clearly whatever your mother was supposedly told, is bunk. There are hormone changes during menopause that can make weight maintenance or loss more challenging. On top of that,  the fact that a lot of people are less active as they age and thus lose some muscle mass, may contribute to weight gain because the loss of muscle means the metabolism isn't running as fast as it used to (so the body isn't burning as many calories a day as it did before the muscle loss).

.

I'm 55, going through menopause (on the back side of it) and I've lost 10 lbs this year by simply cutting calories somewhat (nothing drastic). 

.

What you claim your mother was told, is nonsense. Complete and utter nonsense.

• kelvin

and all 5 of those doctors are wrong and i looked it up and it says the most any woman will gain would be about 10 pounds and that is easy too lose with diet and exercise

This is total and complete BS. It doesn't happen that way for EVERY woman. My mom went through menopause, and after a few years of just letting her body do what it was supposed to do and get used to the stage of things, she was able to lose 50 pounds at age 60. My ex-boyfriend's mother was old as dirt and was skinny as heck. My mother-in-law maybe put on 10 pounds after menopause, not 50, 60, 70 pounds or anything. It's not THAT drastic. 

Your hormones will do as they do in your body. It's not impossible to lose weight after menopause, just harder, but it can be done. I don't know why women freak out about this. They see weight gain and automatically assume they are going to balloon up by 200 pounds.