An escalator moves at a rate of 2 ft./h at what rate does an escalator move in miles per hour?

I think I did the conversations correct put my answer isn’t one of the answer options. Can someone explain to me what I’m doing wrong please. My work is in pink and the answer options are in blue. 

Attachment image

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 days ago

Best essay writing services https://zakazat-kursovuyu.ru

• 2 weeks ago

Get help with educational work https://9219603113.com

• John P
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Presumably that is '2 feet per hour' But that cannot be right - that would be slower than a snail. Try 2 feet per second?

I have now walked quickly up my stairs at home, maybe at a similar speed to an escalator. I clocked a speed in the approximate range of 3 feet per second.

'Anon' says about 1.3 metres (approx. 4 feet) per second. I would not go against his idea, though oldies like me might stumble a bit when getting on and off the escalator!

Anyway, those speeds are not far apart, so resemble the real word closely enough.

If your school is giving you examples of that ridiculous sort, get different text books! Examples should always reflect the real world. It is wasting your time as a student to produce silly examples.

• sepia
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

An escalator moves at a rate of 2 ft./h 

At what rate does the escalator move in miles per hour?

1 mile = 5280 ft

2 ft/h = (1/2640) mph = 0.000378787878787878... mph.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Ridiculous.  No conversion is needed.

2 FEET per HOUR (2 ft./h). [Use the stairs, or the nearby lift.]

Real World statistics.

"The average travel speed of an escalator is 1.3± METRES per SECOND.

If you take the operating speed of London Underground escalators – 0.75 metres per second – and the rate at which people generally ascend the steps if they're walking – around 0.7 metres per second – you end with a speed of 1.45 metres per second."

• 2 months ago

Your answer would actually be correct if we're actually starting the escalator moving at a rate of 2 feet per hour, and the answer choices are in miles per hour. So 1 foot = 5280 miles. As a fraction, that would be 1 / 5280 = 0.000189393939394. Multiplying this by 2 to get what 2 feet would be 0.000378787878788 miles per hour.

However, it's possible the answers given are really meters per hour. And if that's the case, we'd have 1 foot = 0.3048 meters. Multiplying this by 2 would give you 0.6096 meters per hour.

But as another poster had already mentioned, presuming the answer choices are in miles per hour, and the escalator's rate is really 2 feet per second not per hour, you'd have the following:

2 feet per second in miles per second would be 0.000378787878788 miles per second. This number comes from my first calculation where it was feet per hour. So the number remains the same and the unit of measure changes. Multiplying this by 60 seconds in a minute and multiplying that by 60 minutes in an hour gives you 1.36363636364 miles per hour.

Source(s): I've taught math and many other subjects. And have helped lots of students out with their questions.
  • 2 months ago

I believe the error is in the question.

It should be 2 ft/second.

Think about it.

2ft/hr is ridiculously slow.

It would literally take all day to go up/down from one floor to the next. 

----------------------------

s = 2ft/sec * 3600sec/hr * 1 mi/5280ft

s = 1.36 mi/hr <–––– answer D

• Alan
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If the original rate was in 

ft/second  instead of ft/hour  

Anyway this makes a lot more sense. 

Moving 2 tt/hour  gets you nowhere slow.  

you would multiply your answer by 3600 seconds/hour to

get miles per hour 

0.000378788 mi/second *3600 seconds/hour

= 1.36  miles/hour (answer d) 

so if your textbook said ft/hour, it probably was a typo 

and they meant ft/sec.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Your calculations are correct , all the possible answers given are wrong.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.