Anonymous

Manager Snubbed my Performance Review?

We had our mid year evaluations and although my manager asked me for feedback on what she wrote. Of course, she made virtually no changes since the last evaluation and I said I have been working towards the goals of the group for 6 months, why aren't there changes?  I also asked her to note an additional point for the record because the team uses me as an on call tutor and forces me to train new people without, themselves, contributing. They also refuse to promote me despite using me. I asked her to note down the training I've done and attached several emails reflecting my conversations with junior colleagues where I literally tell them what to do step by step. This is an indisputable fact. It's on the record. She comes back and tells me that I haven't done enough of that to justify her putting it on the review, meanwhile, this isn't even meant to be a final review so why is she expecting it to be final? And if I've done it why not acknowledge it, even if she wants to see more of it? Because this has a direct impact on my final review and my bonus I am livid. I am absolutely mortified the company has allowed this demon into its workspace and I don't know what to do anymore to defend myself, because obviously, even direct evidence doesn't help.

What should I do (besides find a new job)?

Change your attitude.  Instead of demanding things and having a huge chip on your shoulder, ask questions.  For example, if your boss said you haven't done enough of the training to count, then you should ask how much would be enough or if you can stop helping others if it isn't part of your stated goals & objectives.  If you feel you are being treating unfairly, you are welcome to ask for a meeting with the HR department as well.  

I don't see your manager snubbing you:

1. Saying "I have been working on the goals of the group for 6 months" is meaningless.  Tell her what you DID working on the goals of the group.

2.  If your entire history of "training" people is sending a few emails with instructions - that's part of most jobs.  She is right that this isn't an "extra" activity and doesn't belong on your performance review.

3. they aren't "using you" = you get paid for the work that you do; you aren't volunteering in an unpaid position.

4.  Doing your current job doesn't mean you should automatically be promoted.

- if you want to be promoted, work with your manager about what you need to change/improve to be considered for a promotion.  

5.  There is no direct evidence that this manager is a "demon"

-- what I got from your note, you think that if you do an itty bit of above and beyond that that should be acknowledged.  Sorry, I'm with your manager = it shouldn't be. That means you are meeting expectations not exceeding expectations.

Defend yourself - start showing that you go above and beyond all the time. 

• Alex

I've had issues with disagreements on performance reviews.  I had lunch with a former manager and mentor to get some advice.  He suggested that I ask my supervisor, "What do I need to do to be successful in the problem areas?" 

As for doing well on things you're not being reviewed on, take that as an indicator that those tasks that does not earn you merit are a waste of your time, and don't do them until the things that do earn you merit are completed satisfactory. 

I know that may sound weird.  But, if you want to be promoted, your primary efforts need to be put toward solving the problems that the company expects you to solve (the items that you're being reviewed on).  It's great to go above and beyond and take on those other tasks, but the are meaningless if your primary responsibilities (i.e. the things you're being reviewed on) are not being met.  And make no mistake, despite what anyone says to you (your boss asking you to do things, your colleagues asking for help), then things you get reviewed on ARE your primary responsibilities.