How is it possible my keys started another car?

I unlocked my car, started the ignition and drove away only to realize I was in the wrong car. It was a Honda. Is that common to do? 

I have Honda Civic he has Honda Accord 

It was extremely dark so I couldn’t see his car was an accord all I saw was a green Honda lol

With newer chipped keys, it is EXTREMELY unlikely.

Back in the 1990s, I was driving a car from the early 1980s without a chip. There are only so many ways to cut a mechanical key, and a shop where I left the car to replace the windshield accidentally gave my keys to someone picking up her bosses car. My key actually started the car she came to get, and when I got back to the shop, they told me the other person was on the way back to trade for the right keys.

• VP

Haha, that's funny.  What's even funnier is when the dude who owns that car and his girlfriend got into the car later, and his girlfriend smells your perfume and tears into her cheatin' boyfriend!  

"Who was is here?!  I can smell that floozy's perfume! It was that ho' Gabrielle, wasn't it?  Wasn't IT?!"

🤣🤣🤣

Some car manufacturers will make a number of similar keys for a certain model of a car. So it was possible your key can be similar to his.

If you are concerned about the security of your car then invest in a steering wheel lock.

Same thing happened to me... I was going to swap vehicles with my wife while she was at work. I parked my truck, climbed into her car and fired it up. I was half way out of the parking lot and I thought to myself, "Wow, she really cleaned her car up nice?" Then realized it wasn't her car, and I turned around and parked it where I found it. Hers was in another row further back, sitting there, dirty as ever... Man I felt like an idiot. I cant remember exactly, but I think she had a blue Ford Escort...mid 80's? I had almost forgotten about that, I don't share that story too often. Ha ha ha...I guess they only make so many different keys and figure the odds of two people and two cars with the same ones ever crossing paths is pretty remote?

Your car didn't have Bird mess on the rear window and fender,,  and the seat was in a another position,, the smell of the car should of woke you up,, or the Fergie CD in the radio.. Ashtray full of lipstick and eyeliners..  Fast-food mess on the floor.. Cigarette butts packed in both cup-holders..  Raccoon in the back-seat, same one as in the Movie,"Harold and Kumar go to White Castle" raccoon...

That happened to me when I got into a Dodge that looked like mine. I realized I was in the wrong car when my stereo wasn't there and the car had no airconditioner.

GM cars used to get handled by assembly line workers with a "knock-out" key that would start Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs and Chevrolets.

I worry about a Honda key starting any other car unless it is so old it isn't a chip key. In my town though, lots of Hondas get stolen.

Believe it or not this has happened before lol. I'm more surprised you couldn't tell the difference between an Accord and a Civic.

It was pretty common back in the days of physical metal keys for manufacturers to only have about a dozen different key patterns, so if you check enough cars from the same manufacturer you'll find one that matches.

At one point when I was a teenager/ new driver our family owned 2 old (1980's) Ford trucks. One time I went to drive one of them, I unlocked the door but then the key wouldn't turn the ignition. After a bit of frustration I realized I had the set of keys for the other truck. Back then there were 2 different keys for each truck - one for the door locks and another one for the ignition. I discovered by accident that the ignition key for one of the trucks would unlock the doors on the other truck which is why I was able to unlock the door and get in without realizing I had the wrong set of keys. The ignition on that truck didn't match the other key - if it did I probably would have driven away and never even realized I had mixed up the keys.

• CB

What model year? It is not uncommon for one key (same manufacturer) to start two or more cars but the security chip usually shuts down the engine within a few seconds. Older models without the chip is not as uncommon as you might think - same color. model, though is pretty rare.