Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 3 months ago

Authentic Windows 10 Key compromised?

For years I've had a few PCs running Windows 10 - all with genuine Windows 10 keys. Then, I recently bought a new one in "S mode". I followed the instructions to remove S mode, which included opening a Microsoft account. Ever since then, every computer I log onto through my ISP says I should "activate Windows", and settings suddenly say I'm running an unlicensed version of Windows 10! What is going on???

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020089/w... for more information.

Here is some of it:

About Windows 10 in S modeWindows 10 in S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing.For more info, see the Windows 10 in S mode page.How do I switch out of S mode?To increase security and performance, Windows 10 in S mode runs only apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to permanently switch out of S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode, but you won't be able to turn it back on. If you're blocked from switching and your device belongs to an organization, check with your administrator. Your organization can choose to keep all devices in S mode.On your PC running Windows 10 in S mode, open Settings > Update & Security > Activation.Find the Switch to Windows 10 Home or Switch to Windows 10 Pro section, then select the Go to the Store link.NoteDon't select the link under Upgrade your edition of Windows. That's a different process that will keep you in S mode.On the page that appears in the Microsoft Store (Switch out of S mode or a similar page), select the Get button. After you confirm this action, you'll be able to install apps from outside the Microsoft Store.

Contact the Windows help if your activation did not happen correctly.  I have found them to be helpful if you have a legit registered copy of software and can supply the key.

One time they helped me when I had nothing but the retail cardboard box of an upgrade version of Windows.  I read off the 4 digit code on the box flap--that was enough.

See https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en...