Joe asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 2 months ago

Why does *EVERY BANK* have more teller booths than tellers *EVERY DAY*?

(No, it's not Covid. It's been like this forever.)

And why do *ALL TELLERS* at *ALL BANKS* move *SO* slow?

@John Alden, then why do they pay to have such a long counter built? Every bank has tons of branches, so for a given bank, if they got a smaller counter built at each and every one of their branches, in combination with all the stuff that goes at each booth, that would save them quite a lot of money. Seriously think about that. Seriously.

And I do use online banking. Just once in a while, I need to go into the bank.

So bank robbers do not have to wait for an open window (to shove the gun through).  OR ... design flaw. [Tellers move slow so as to not startle the bank robbers.]

• Scott

All banking used to be done in person, at a teller window. Now with online banking and ATM machines, very little banking needs to be done in person. ATM machines have only been around about 40 years and online banking wasn't a thing until about 20 years ago.

Maybe they have extra booths so that they will have enough booths if there is an emergency that requires them to have more tellers than normal.

Not many people visit the bank inside, so no need to fill all the booths. They get paid peanuts and also can't make mistakes.

Same reason grocery stores do. 

Why not use an online bank?  I was late to the game but I have been using them for 20+ years.