What makes the Uighurs different from other humanitarian crises?  ?

China has oppressed religious and ethnic groups not fitting its mold for a long time.  The Rohingya (if spelled wrong sorry) got some attention in Burma, but don't hear much about them now.  Ethnocide and persecution of religious and ethnic minorities happens in one form or another across the world.  Why are people paying attention to this particular crisis more so than others it seems?

• Foofa

From my viewing of the news they're not really. I heard just as much, if not more, about the Rohingya (which is still going on but not being covered) as I have of late about the Uighurs. But of course as Myanmar wasn't a major trading partner with the west there wouldn't have been as much concern about what they were doing to their religious minority. 

China is under the spot light for all sorts of reasons, it being the place where the virus originated and the US's on going trade spat with them, Pompeo recently tried to drum up European ire against China too.

While you are correct, this isn't the only time China has tried to force ethnic groups to lose their identity, this is something that is happening now to the Uyghurs, which is what makes it especially newsworthy. Once it's done it will no doubt be consigned to history like the others.