Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Transmission leak after fluid change?

Just today got a transmission fluid change on an old 2011 Kia Soul, drove it to work and back (~40 minutes total) and as I was close to home the transmission started shifting strange. Pull into my spot and after awhile I noticed transmission fluid was leaking, not much just some drips that turned into a small puddle. It's been a few hours since then, and it has stopped. I will be calling the place that serviced tomorrow when they open, I imagine it was something they caused since the timing was so close together. However it is a fairly used car with 240,000 miles. Since I will be calling them tomorrow any ideas or advice?

Yes it - they failed to seat the pan and gasket properly.

Don't drive the vehicle. Have it towed back to where you had the tranny serviced. You must be low on ATF if the transmission is not shifting properly and catastrophic damage will result if you drive it. Keep records of having to tow the vehicle back to them. There's a good chance damage has already happened and if the transmission fails in the future you'll have to sue them.

Bad idea to get a transmission fluid change on a car that old.  Take it back to the garage and see if they got the fluid pan installed correctly.