s asked in SportsFootballEnglish Football · 1 month ago

If you had to pick just one of the following midfielders, who would it be and why ?

Zidane, Gerrard, Pirlo, scholes or gravesen? 

• F

Zidane by a mile. Gerrard was lucky  to play when he did. He’d get a double yellow every week now. Scholes did the donkey work that never gets praised and was always overshadowed by the far less talented Beckham.

Never really impressed by Pirlo and wtf is Gravesen doing in this list? 

All five were great players of the game, very hard to compare.  I would choose the wizard Zidane.  The way he controlled the ball and positively influenced his team was amazing.  Its always a joy to watch highlights of when he used to play.  Pirlo would be second on my list.

Gerrard everytime.

Hes a red through and through and wore his heart on his sleaves and was able to do a lot for us on his own.

a Primed Gerrard over all of them.

Scholes, Pirlo, Zidane all legendary.

But I'd still take Steven Gerrard circa 2001 - 2009 any day.

Pirlo...one of my favorite midfielder of all time. He played very well for almost 20 years and also was one of Italy's best players during the WC2006 and the EURO 2012.

He was an excellent and elegant player.

Pirlo, Xavi, Matthaeus and Gullit in one team...wonderful....

• between Pirlo and  Gerrard......a combimation of both would be ideal imho

i know who would be yop of the list on polls, but i don't go with polls.

Zidane back at RM as a prime player would be amazing. After that Pirlo, Gerrard, Gravesen then Scholes in that order.

• Ryan

I'd go with Pirlo just for being the coolest man on a football pitch. Best of those players has to be Zidane though. The fact he only won the champions league once as a player is a crime. I'd say even overall he didn't win as much as he should have

• Maggie

Steven Gerrard, but where is Brian Laudrup on your list? 

Zidane, because he’s easily the best in the list. 

• Adam

Depends on the rest of the players to be honest. I can see merits in picking all, as all are different types of players. If I already had 5 world class attacking players, Graveson would add the defensive stability. If I had a team that badly needed a leader on and off the pitch and some midfield quality, Gerrard in a heartbeat. If I needed the classic attacking midfielder behind a good front 2 in a 4-4-2, Scholes as he's proven effective there.

If I needed the attacking midfielder as part of a 4-2-3-1 to be the creator and basically be a shadow striker, Zidane.

If I'm playing deeper with a runner like gattuso alongside, pirlo.

Depends on the rest of the squad