Cap asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

Why is the drinking age in the US 21 ?

Yet you can join the military and buy a gun but you can't buy a can of beer. 

Mind you the drinking age in most countries globally is 18 with only a tiny amount of countries having it at 19 or 20

I'm really confused here..... 

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I agree. Make it 18 to drink. 21 to drive. 

Sex should be 16 like it is in a lot of countries in Europe. 

You can vote and die for your country but cant buy beer. It's stupid. Parents should educate their kids. You need to be 21 to smoke and buy guns now too.

• 2 months ago

Because that's the LAW... THATS WHY... You don't like it.. VOTE OUT THE OLD FARTS IN OFFICE AND PUT IN YOUNGER PEOPLE. GET RID OF THE CARREER POLITITIONS and put ALL ELECTED OFFICIALS ETC. ON A TWO TERM TERM LIMIT..

• TomB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Because that is where all 50 States set it so that they wouldn't lose their Federal Highway funding.

- and Teen Highway fatalities declined dramatically.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

To try and save lives the adult mail Brain does not finish Growing until about 25

and the statistics show an 18-year-old cannot be Responsible and drink alcohol

My worst time was when my neighbour's son went to 4 Funerals all school mates celebrating an 18 th Birthday he wrote off the car and Killed himself and his 3 mates

By 21 they would not have been as social together

I was posted to Germany with the RAF at 19 where drinking was 18 and every weeknd there was a Trailer with this weeks wrecked car

with the Age of the Driver, we could buy cars duty-free and the car was 3 weeks old he died and so did his friend both Drunk both 20 and Both Underage in the UK 

what Killed them UNDERAGE DRINKING and Fast cars

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

They TRIED age 18.   What happened is the kids over 18 would buy booze for the kids under 18 and they would have drunken parties.   The DUI and road fatality rate for kids went thru the roof.  So did the teen pregnancy.   The 18 year olds over a few years proved they could not be trusted to keep booze out of the hands of those under 18 so the age was raised back to 21.    The DUI and road fatality and teen PG rates all went down.  

• Mike W
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's probably something that goes back to English Common Law.  At one time you had to be 21 to vote, or become a knight.   It only followed that you should be 21 before you could drink.  Now that you can vote at 18 and join the military at 18, it does seem logical to me, that you should be able to drink.  Many countries don't have a drinking age, just ages for public consumption and purchase.  

• 2 months ago

Part of it is the power of the Big Insurance lobby in our federal government.  It has been statistically proven that raising the drinking age significantly lowered alcohol-related traffic accidents and deaths.... so the federal push was sold as a "health and safety" measure.

The reduction in traffic accidents also greatly reduced the amount of claims Big Insurance companies had to pay out of their precious reserves....and as you may know it is by investing those reserves that Big Insurance turn your premiums into billions in profits for themselves. 

Two of the most powerful lobbies in DC are those for Big Insurance and Big Law (consider how many politicians also happen to be lawyers by trade)... Ever notice how the net result of so much legislation and regulation a) makes it easier for people to sue one another (thus increasing the need to hire expensive attorneys)... b) requires people to carry more insurance coverage... or c) more often....both...?

• 2 months ago

It's because most people think 25 is too old.

• rodcom
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

When prohibition was repealed the voting age was 21.

When the voting age was dropped to 18, some states dropped the drinking age too, but not all.  In 1984 Reagan signed into law the "National Minimum Drinking Age Act" making everybody 21.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

IDK.

I prefer weed, coke and white claw.

Easier on my liver!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.