What does time tolled mean in an omnibus hearing? ?

I've been following a person's murder conviction where it is known that murder happened and she did it. One lawyer already recused himself and she keeps getting omnibus hearings. A year passed. Just omnibus hearings so far. The newest one is "time tolled" I'm not sure what this means. I think Coronavirus is slowing everyones trial dates. Eventually she has to go to trial, but how many times can one keep requesting omnibus hearings? 

Update:

One lawyer recused himself citing irreconcilable differences. He could not work with her. So she had to get a new lawyer and that slowed things down. She is out on bail with ankle monitor and can't leave her county. 

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

"Time toll" extends the Statute of Limitations (usually) OR extends the time within a trial must be held OR extends the time within a Grand Jury must hear a matter.

I'm sure everyone knows the murder "happened."  How do you know she "did it?"

Perhaps if "everyone knows" it is difficult to pick a jury.

Judges recluse themselves.  District Attorneys recuse themselves.  Attorneys do NOT recluse themselves.  They quit/resign from representation.  They ask the Court to remove them as defense counsel for a variety of reasons.

Again, attorneys do NOT recuse themselves.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.