Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

fashion dreams ?

Hello:)) so pretty much I’m going to be a senior this fall and have no idea what I want to do after high school. I don’t know anything about the fashion industry or how to work in it or jobs but I do know since I was a little kid I've always loved the idea of doing fashion shows And New York City  and working with “corky” or like vogue or “cool” stuff not fashion like Nordstrom’s if that makes sense. I have no idea where to start because I feel like it’s not to realistic in the long run because of the competitiveness of the industry. So I’m wondering if anyone out here can give me some advice or ideas I haven’t heard. I live in Washington state and have to go in state for college because it’s to expensive to not. So my mind is kinda like I wonder if there is a way to go to an academic college not an art college but somehow also take some fashion classes at the same time so I’m getting both. Of course the absolute dream would be to move to New York after HS go to college somewhere there with scholarships some how and also do a fashion program that can help set me up for the future in fashion but also get a degree so I have a back up either way. Idk i just want to be excited for the future 

Here is a list of schools in Washington state that offer degrees or courses in fashion design: https://www.fashion-schools.org/articles/top-fashi... State/public community colleges and universities will be much cheaper than private art schools. I don't know much about fashion, but if I were looking into a fashion design program, these are some of the questions I would ask: How important are sewing skills in fashion design? Do you offer sewing and tailoring classes? What percentage of fashion designing is now done on computers? What kind of computers do your students use? Does the school provide a discounted computer program for its students? What percentage of your fashion design students actually graduate? Why don't the remainder of your fashion students graduate? (You want to know if they flunk out, quit because they can't keep up with the program, transfer to other schools or drop out for financial reasons.) Where do your graduates end up working after graduation? What kind of jobs are they doing? (You want to know how many of them are actually doing fashion-related jobs other than working retail.) How much do they earn? Do you help your students find internships? Do you provide job-hunting assistance for your students? Since New York City is the fashion capital of the U.S., what does your program offer to make up for the fact that you aren't in New York City? Note: If you don't sew, you should. Look for sewing lessons at your local community college or good fabric stores.

• John

Regardless of what career a young person wants to go into, its important that the student learn the career path necessary to have a chance of doing so.  There are many online articles and books telling how one gets started in a certain field.  An internet search for something like "how to get started in the fashion industry" will return many hits.  

A number of colleges do have programs specifically relating to fashion.  I would recommend that, if possible, you attend a school which is located in one of 4 major fashion capitols (in the US, NYC). That would be helpful for internships and volunteering.  There are, however, at least a few dozen cities around the world which have second and third tier fashion sectors.