Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Do you ever write a character one way in your book, then decide they should be another way and start rewriting it that way after 300 pages?

One character in a book started off as a stranger to the person she worked for, but as I got toward preparing to write the end, I realized it would be more dramatic if she turned out to be a daughter who was given up for adoption. It would make room for more stories about her in the second and third book, since I also chose to keep her alive at the end.

It's going to be a lot of work to rewrite it all.

Anyone else do this?

• Zac Z
    Favorite Answer

I'm not a writer but an avid reader and from what I've read or heard in interviews, Q&As, etc., this isn't something unheard of.

It might be part of the editing process. Many writers rewrite material, sometimes extensively. (George R. R. Martin in known to have thrown out hundreds of already-written pages from manuscripts in his rewriting process; possibly one of the reasons he takes so long - it's not that he doesn't write but that he extensively rewrites.)

If you realize that making the changes you talk about make the book better then you should do this.

Don't worry about this changing parts of the overall story. This not unusual either. Tolkien famously said, referring to the Lord of the Rings, that "the tale grew in the telling". Many writers started out with quite a different story in their first drafts or outlines than what ended up in the finished product.