I want to be a big time voice actor. I live in toronto should I move to las angeles? I got lotsa voices.?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    2 days ago

Two wrong words - 'big time'.

• 4 weeks ago

Try stand up comedy first in Toronto. This is how Mel Blanc started. I'd like to hear some of your voices!

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can't just move to the USA.  You need all sorts of legal papers and also, LA has thousands of unemployed but excellent actors already.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the unemployment rate in LA is huge.  As an actor, you'll be lucky to get more than a week or two's paid work a year, like most other actors.But almost all voice-work goes to fully-trained and very experienced actors - they do the occasional bit of voice-acting just to earn a little extra money in between ordinary acting roles.I mean - think about it. You have a role to fill in a cartoon or commercial or whatever - who do you choose to audition - a kid with no experience or a professional actor with a fantastic résumé showing years at drama school and loads of stage and film experience?

• 2 months ago

Short Answer - No

Long Answer - if you’re serious about wanting to be a voice actor, you need to get realistic.  Some things you need to understand:

Voice acting is acting.  It's more then doing voices.  The craft involves creating a character, expressing emotions, telling a story with just your voice.  Technically you need to effectively control the tone, pacing, volume of your voice.  

Acting is not exempt from immigration laws.  If you’re not a US citizen, you need a specific type of work visa to be able to legally work as an actor and those are not easy to get.  So you can't just move to LA and work.

It’s show BUSINESS not a lottery.  People invest a lot of money in their projects and they trust that investment to trained and experienced professionals.  There aren’t a bunch of open auditions that you can go to get “discovered”.  For most professional work you have to be invited to audition, usually through an agent.  

In the US most professional work is union meaning preference is given to actors who are members of the SAG-AFTRA actors union (and that does include foreign actors as well).

Voice acting is extremely competitive.  Everyone from recognizable big-name actors to wannabe actors like you are interested.  You’ll need to step up and take responsibility for any acting career you attempt.  No one is going to just give it to you.  It requires disciplined, perseverance, resilience, dedication, an ability to handle constant rejection and the like.

Many voice actors have their own sound studios - it’s something you might consider looking into and understanding how that works.

That's just the beginning.  If you’re serious about acting, give up the fantasy of being “discovered” and focus on learning the craft of acting and the business end of the industry.  There are several websites such as Backstage that have more details to help you better understand what is really involved in voice acting.  Then you can make an informed decision if it’s right for you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Robert
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There are a thousand experienced voice actors in LA competing for 800 jobs.  Stay in Toronto.  Find someone to speak with at the local radio stations and see if you can do commercials.  It is great experience, will give you some feedback and you'll meet people who may know where other work is available.  Toronto has a lot of production houses and I think you'd be better off starting a career there than in LA 

• Marli
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Big time would be in Los Angeles, as Mike Myers, Sarah Polley and Jim Carrey can attest, but what have you done in Toronto?

Get some credentials at home, as they did, before moving to the States.

• 2 months ago

Hire in as a dis-jockey at a radio station and play music and voice act in between.....be a hit for sure......

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Why not. I don't know much about The USA But if you think going to Las Angeles ( or anywhere) could help you to achieve your goals then you must go there 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.