Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Name just ONE time when ONE person made an impact in history I think I am just one person and therefore can not make a difference by myself ?

Change my mind

No single person exists in a vacuum. They exist in a place and at a time when their actions have an effect that they might not have, or have had, in a different place or at a different time.

But I think we can certainly argue that Florence Nightingale "made an impact" from very unlikely beginnings. She saw a need for nurses during the Crimean War and put a huge amount of personal effort into seeing that need supplied, at a time when women were largely expected to stay at home and do good deeds privately.

Perhaps Jesus must have made the largest impact in history.

Stanislav Yevgrafovich Petrov stopped ww111 by refusing to bomb the US

Hmm, good question. I say Donald Trump. That man... I cannot believe what horrible stuff he did. He changed the world into... maybe HELL!

• John

The first farmer.  

We don't know his name, but the world feeds itself because of him?

Tim Berners Lee 

You are on the World Wide Web due to his vision with HTML.

There are hundreds of examples.

Stephen Langton, he was the bloke who ensured the Magna Carta came into existence, against King john's wishes, more to the point when it had failed the first couple of times, he ensured Henry III re-affirmed it.

You have the US constitution because of Langton

As they say "YOU JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID" and in your case it appears to be true.

The officer that knelt on George Floyd's neck and killed him impacted the US forever.

• Marli

Your mother. She gave birth to you, nursed you, cared for you and probably made your breakfast this morning. The farmers, shippers, and store employees whose labour provided her with the food.

Oh.  Your mother isn't good enough?  Those people who together saved you from hunger and thirst have no meaning in your life?  You want someone famous?  Jesus Christ.  His teachings inspired men and women, who founded a religion in His name that has made an impact on the world to this day.Mohammed and Buddha, others whose teachings inspired religions that made an impact.Julius Caesar, Napoleon, Frederick the Great, Alexander the Great: military commanders whose conquests changed Europe. The effects are still present.Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, other inventors and the inventors and discoverers whose work made their inventions possible.One person inspires other people to think, dream and carry out his ideas or win battles.Many people who are not famous make discoveries that are used by another person to invent something that makes him famous.  Without them, that invention would not have been made.

• Phil

Gavrilo Princip, the man who shot Franz Ferdinand in 1914 and started WWI.

Thomas Edison comes to mind.