Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 2 months ago

Why do things keep getting removed from my DNA test results? ?

When my family first took the test it said things like Mediterranean, Iberian Peninsula, France, Germany and stuff. But over time things have gotten removed starting with Iberian Peninsula followed by Mediterranean and just now Germany and France. Now it just says Scandinavian, British and Scottish. My family doesn't quiet believe that as my grandma and her family don't look either of those three. What's going on? 

DNA groups getting reclassified. The reality doesn't change of course, just what the geneticists call it. So whole families and their entire group get reclassified and labelled something else. People who originally tested as Ashkenazi Jewish, for instance, have raised protests and remonstrated with genetic scientists that They were Germans and the classification was mistakenly based on a branch of a family which had converted to Judaism and happened to be among the first tested. Other, similar things have happened. Scientists labelled genes what they thought they were, but things were not always what they at first appeared. So you may not have butter coloured hair and cornflower blue eyes or even a Lily White skin, yet still be Scots. 

As the number of tests performed increases the results will change.  The physical appearance has little to nothing to do with the original ethnicity of a family. 

Source(s): Genealogical Researcher 50+ years

They were wrong about what DNA comes from where.  They don't dig up bodies that died 100's of years ago to see what DNA was where.  They guess based on test results from those alive now but it's not always right.

• Maxi

They are just for entertainment...nothing more

Your DNA  is saying you are on the crazy side of the family who doesn't know which way to put you, for it shows up in your blood.....

• Tavy

They are not accurate, here in the UK a researcher took 2 tests under different names, both results were different.

Bit of a scam I'm afraid.