My wife insists on keeping a desk fan on all night for white noise, even though it’s costing a fortune on the electric bill, any solutions?

We can’t afford this but she claims she can’t sleep without it, my electric bill has gone up significantly since she stared with that fan, I can’t afford it 

Learn BASIC MATH. Whatever device you used to post this question uses more power than a typical desk fan.

If your electric bill went up noticeably, the desk fan IS NOT the primary reason.

That small desk fan may increase your electrical $3-$4 per month.

Source(s): Electrical Engineer
  • L

Buy a sound machine, place it in your bedroom and turn it on at night.

I seriously doubt a desk fan can use that much electricity. Why don't you invest in a little product called the "Kill-A-Watt"?  It's a small device that will actually measure how much electricity is used by any device in your home.  Here's a link to it--for under $20 you can find out exactly why your electric bill is so high and what's causing it. 

https://www.amazon.com/BALDR-Electricity-Monitor-P...

Get another source of white noise that doesn’t cost as much.

Pretty simple.

sister always left the TV on all night,lasted her lifetime,,hadda have the tv on till hissing static and the test pattern

cant do anything about it

I'm using my "smart speaker" to play a rain or ocean track, it's made a big difference for getting to sleep. She might also want to try a white noise app while her phone charges overnight.

• Droopy

LMAO happy wife happy life.  A fan isn't going to run your bill up. 

Got a beside radio/alarm ? Tune away from a station and you will get white noise.

Or get a small old style battery transistor radio with a loudspeaker and do the same, a lot of these also have a power jack so you can run them off a power supply.

Radio doesn't need to be AM , since you can get white noise on FM as well.

• keerok

Why not just snore?