L L A P asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

Will my duck ever walk completely normal?

I got my welsh harlequins in April as day-old ducklings and have been giving them non-medicated chick starter. One of them had developed a niacin deficiency and I didn't catch it until it right away. I thought either her or the other ducklings were too excited over something and she got hurt. She'd gotten to the point where she wasn't standing and her feet were pointed inwards and her legs were bowed. Well, eventually I did get a niacin powder and have been mixing that in with the feed. After giving her the supplemented food and keeping her separated, her condition improved and I put her back with the others after about 2 weeks. She's on her feet, running around, swimming, and is able to keep up with her sisters for the most part. But her feet are still a bit turned inwards. Sometimes she'll trip over one of her feet. Did I catch the deficiency too late? I've been giving her and the others the niacin supplement since early June.

Zoology student here. You probably didn't catch it in time, there may be permanent damage to her skeletal structure. If it goes beyond tripping maybe best to contact a vet to see if they can do anything for the alignment.